Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I Hear A Huey Popping!

47B3 ---------that photo might even be of old CF-RSR, Bulloch's first 204, but whatever one it is it isn't taken in the Arctic Islands. The only trees you find in the Arctic a mouse couldn't hide behind. You'll see trees that high in the western Arctic, north of sixty, but on the mainland around places not theat far south of Inuvik like Camsell Bend.

47G ------ sounds like you might have the location and year confused a bit on the place of that "blade shortening".........because the pilot was me.

gas producer ---------I can't debate what year AHA was produced because I don't remember.........although I've logged my own fair share of hours in her myself. What I do know is THIS. If she was operated in the Arctic in 1963 it was not as a 204B as a 204B is known today. As far as the civilian "eye" is concerned, I flew 3 models of the 204B in 'Nam, but you better believe that the 204B Model like AHA would've been considered a complete "Hot-Rod" compared to what the earlier Models were. There's a big difference between 960HP at 30C and 80%RH and 1300HP at the same temps and RH's...........like tell all the pax to lift their feet off-of the floor so that you can haul-*** outta there :shock: .

Where and when did that "blade shortening" incident take place? I was also under the impression that ship eventually ended up operating offshore for Bristow Helicopters in Trinidad where it was purchased by Shirley Helicopters in 1979 or 80 and flown back to Canada by Ralph Pelletier where she was registered as C-GSHB. It was the first 204 that Shirley had.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47G ---- if your info is exactly correct then we are speaking about two completely different acts of stupidity. I flew SHB while with Okanagan Hel. and flew next to her years before when K.O. Ostertag was flying her. She had an interesting history from SE Asia for Air America also. Other than that I know little about her other than rumours. As far as Ralph Pelletier is concerned, I tortured my liver too many times with that dude, so I "ain't going there" either again. :lol:

47G ---- if your info is exactly correct then we are speaking about two completely different acts of stupidity. I flew SHB while with Okanagan Hel. and flew next to her years before when K.O. Ostertag was flying her. She had an interesting history from SE Asia for Air America also. Other than that I know little about her other than rumours. As far as Ralph Pelletier is concerned, I tortured my liver too many times with that dude, so I "ain't going there" either again. :lol:

CAP --- you may be thinking of C-GSHK and C-GJME The both came to Shirley from SE Asia Royal Thai Police Force I recall. Neither ships ever had a cargo hook until they got to Shirley. Both of those ships are gone now. SHK went down in 2006, pilot fatality.

When Ralph brought SHB back to Canada it was in February and it didn't have a heater in it since it had been working in Trinidad. He **** near froze!

47G ----you could be correct. I remember that they arrived over here still in their cammo paint jobs and I worked with one of them on a large fire just south of High Level that year.........and KO was flying it for part of that tour. The vast majority of the Thai National Police Force's 204's and 205's were ex-Air America a/c anyway, so no mystery there. Bristow also had a whole slew of them, as did Greenlandair and many of them made it to North America and the odd one still resides in Canada.

Oh and Ralph could never freeze in those days because I'm here to tell you that I helped contribute to some of ingredients that made his blood like anti-freeze. Last I heard of SHB she had her tail "shortened" on some powerline construction job sometime in the '80's in southern BC.

47G ----you could be correct. I remember that they arrived over here still in their cammo paint jobs and I worked with one of them on a large fire just south of High Level that year.........and KO was flying it for part of that tour. The vast majority of the Thai National Police Force's 204's and 205's were ex-Air America a/c anyway, so no mystery there. Bristow also had a whole slew of them, as did Greenlandair and many of them made it to North America and the odd one still resides in Canada.

Oh and Ralph could never freeze in those days because I'm here to tell you that I helped contribute to some of ingredients that made his blood like anti-freeze. Last I heard of SHB she had her tail "shortened" on some powerline construction job sometime in the '80's in southern BC.

Cap: I take it that you worked for Shirley at one time?

Cap you ol' dog.

If you're refering to a tail boom being burnt to rat poop, I may be able to help you on this. As it was me and another unnamed individual who cooked the boom when refueling. I can't recall if it was SHB or SHK. I crapped my pants when i heard the big WAAAWOOOOMPH The pilot went south and I went north at warp speed. You cannot imagine how fast you can run when your scared @hitless.

Hope your getting yourself back into shape......OTOOLEY

47G -------No I never worked for Shirley, although a whole bunch of my friends and "characters" did. Most of the those "characters" dated back to earlier years and companies in Calgary. If you know of the bunch I refer to, then you know the names that go with.

otooley --------just what I needed.......a "good 'ol boy" from my past.

I knew there was something about a tail-boom and didn't remember whether it was shortened by the M/R or by fire...........ohhhh and don't they burn really fast, eh? :shock: Also nice to see that someone else's memory has faded a tad :rolleyes: .

Back into shape? Well something like that. I was told that my old shape was now "Verboten" and I therefore had to look more "svelte". As a result, I now no longer have to buy my clothes at "Western Canadian Tent and Awning". Went into hospital at 233lbs, left hospital much later at 159lbs and looking good now (so I'm told) at 185-190lbs........or just enough to keep me "legal" when flying the 04/05 solo :D. Donuts are "Verboten" these days, but Mr. Horton's "Double, Double" isn't and I'm buying skinny, so expect a phone call soonest.

TQN ------ Ohhh I'm starting to get 'sharp' again and back to my old self. Kinda taxing though and hard on the body because it took a lot more effort than I thought it would to bring my 2nd granddaughter into the world on Valentine's Day. I could tell she is a potential pilot 'in waiting' though because there's nothing but a whole bunch of sh*ttin' and squawkin' going on and not much else.....so she won't be a 'Production Pilot'. :lol: :lol: :lol: