Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I Hear A Huey Popping!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Bell 204B's were flying in the arctic on the polar shelf project in 1963, AHA,AHB.

Flown by Harvy Easton and Pierre Babusiaux.

Pierre got killed in AHB on his way to Greenland.

AHB later turned into a Hiller FH1100

Harv checked me out on AHA in Sept Isles in 67 at our base and in Churchill Falls flying for the Churchill Falls power project. Emile had his hands full looking after Wheeler F/W and Autairs B47, S51 and B204B.

I think great times were had by all who ventured into Sept Isles in those days.

Cheers, Don

Part of a Bell promotional package from the '60s. 5 photos in all: 2 Bullock 204, 2 B206A and 1 B47G4. They all have captions but there was no indication of a date anywhere in the package. I think Blackmac has just solved the mystery !! That picture's caption states "Two Bullock Helicopter Company 204Bs are operating in the arctic islands near the North Pole on the first seismic operation ever attempted in that part of the world."

First Bell 204B's were flying in the arctic on the polar shelf project in 1963, AHA,AHB.

Flown by Harvy Easton and Pierre Babusiaux.

Pierre got killed in AHB on his way to Greenland.

AHB later turned into a Hiller FH1100

Harv checked me out on AHA in Sept Isles in 67 at our base and in Churchill Falls flying for the Churchill Falls power project. Emile had his hands full looking after Wheeler F/W and Autairs B47, S51 and B204B.

I think great times were had by all who ventured into Sept Isles in those days.

Cheers, Don

I believe that one of those ships had about 4 feet of one main rotor blade blown off by a poorly tossed seismic charge in the Arctic way back when. Caused the pylon to jump ship...so to speak.

47B3 ---------that photo might even be of old CF-RSR, Bulloch's first 204, but whatever one it is it isn't taken in the Arctic Islands. The only trees you find in the Arctic a mouse couldn't hide behind. You'll see trees that high in the western Arctic, north of sixty, but on the mainland around places not theat far south of Inuvik like Camsell Bend.

47G ------ sounds like you might have the location and year confused a bit on the place of that "blade shortening".........because the pilot was me.

gas producer ---------I can't debate what year AHA was produced because I don't remember.........although I've logged my own fair share of hours in her myself. What I do know is THIS. If she was operated in the Arctic in 1963 it was not as a 204B as a 204B is known today. As far as the civilian "eye" is concerned, I flew 3 models of the 204B in 'Nam, but you better believe that the 204B Model like AHA would've been considered a complete "Hot-Rod" compared to what the earlier Models were. There's a big difference between 960HP at 30C and 80%RH and 1300HP at the same temps and RH's...........like tell all the pax to lift their feet off-of the floor so that you can haul-*** outta there :shock: .

Cap: I noticed the difference in the Bullock 204 picture and caption as well. Also the pictures of the 206A in the package were of the prototype N8590F which was on a promotional tour of U.S. and Canada at the time. It's first flight however was in Jan 1966 so the package was from that time or later as well. Unfortunately the 204 registration isn't visible in either picture.post-2714-1171386327_thumb.jpg