Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet A Smells Bad, Any Idea Why?

Fenestron --------sorry sir, but this was a lawsuit between two parties...........no juries are present. The Supreme Court is presided over by a panel of Judges numbering something like 7-9. Again, no juries present. Also bear in mind hat the case only went to the Supreme Court because Imperial Oil didn't exactly role over and die. They had their own high-power legal department and they weren't a bunch off fools either. This case has been used many times in "Moot Court" at law schools across Canada and it should be noted that the rulings in 100% of those cases was almost exactly the same. It makes no difference how much of a "brain-cramp" Steve might have had when he was refuelling. It also makes no difference what other event brought down his a/c. What does matter and did matter, was that the milky flushing solution would go through any filter and that water could also be put through a GO-NO-GO under the right conditions. Also bear in mind that the milky solution would not burn whatsoever and at their first inception it was pronounced far and wide.........water will NOT go through a GO-NO-GO filter period. That was why they were valued so in those days. I believe we all know a tad different nowadays don't we all?

Blackmac ------ I was wondering myself why I was alble to remember that much and I now have it all figured out.....I'm pretty sure. That was around the time when we (and others) were having those bloody "drooping problems" with the FCU's on the new 206B Models. I had landed back at base numerous times with spruce boughs hanging from my undercarriage and I was some kind of pissed that they had dropped the old FCU for this new piece of shyte. It was driving Vic, myself, May, Masse, Messier and Barton crazy. We were on the edge of grounding the whole bloody issue, writing it in the Journey and Tech and then "walking". When Steve disappeared, we all were convinced that the ONLY thing putting him down was his FCU bleeding-off to about 96%N2 and then staying there. Well the 206 ain't a 204/05 and she just takes you to the crash site at that percentage. I was one of the lucky ones because an awful lot of guys took-off and then quickly ran out of sky and ideas because of the FCU problems back then. Thought I was told Vic was killed doing that just eastbound out of Edmonton. VIc was mighty emotional and choked about his impending divorce and I always felt that that had something to do with it. He was too good of a pilot to to have that happen unless his mind was elsewhere. I miss Vic and always have.

Mark_ ----------Fenestron does have "an edge" to his comments sometimes, so don't be too hard on yourself there bud. I don't mind if he sticks the knife in sometimes as long as he doesn't turn it after it's in there. :lol::lol: This last question has been asked before by others over the years since and he's entitled to his opinion on it also. Just don't put 100% faith in the water-filtering capabilities of ANY filter you have. That's my "take" on all this ever since then.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark_ If one of Caps friends or people he knows are excluded from posts the site will die.

PS.... Cap the accident was 1973 after the the Dom/Peg merge

A tragic helicopter accident deprives the Lower North Shore of its first indigenous Doctor, C*** M***, a native son of Whale Head. Click here / cliquez ici for more details. (Dionne, 1988)

Elvis------thanks bud for the reminder. There's undoubtedly a few other errors in my discourse before. Geez, I hope you ain't correct about the rest because most of my friends are 'croking' on me or coming **** close to doing so. I think it was too much bad home-made beer from underneath too many bunk beds over the years. That home made dandelion wine can be a killer too. :lol:

Mark_ --------had my wife take a peek at your post to me and she ain't convinced at all. So keep that praise comin' will ya because I need all the help I can get around here. It used to be "Oh honey" one time when she called for me. Since my "stud fees" from the government ain't arriving anymore, now it's just "Hey you". :lol:

Weird,

Had a run-in in northern B.C. when what I had thought was water in my filter glass and tank, was not water, it did not paste react.

And again with the same substance, west of Jericho mine 3 years ago, I am so bloody paranoid fueling from drums since the first incident that I sight check, paste check and regularly check the filter glass.

Both times, there was no milky colouration, it was a transparent gel, and both times the engineers held a flame to it for seconds, it would not burn.

I am going to call and see if anyone got a response out of our incident reports, as I moved on like a dummy without following up on what the substance could be, both of those drums were imperial red/black barrels, brand new. And we marked contaminated on a handful that we could find what we assumed was that non-flammable un-happy gel.

Now days is not the cleaning solution it is the anti-icing solution that will kill you. Harmonic Vibe did an extensive investigation into why one of our aircraft flamed out hotfuelling. Long story short the filter in question(velcon) was compromised by anti-icing fluid. An interesting fact is that anti-icing fluid will go thru the filter and if the anti-icing fluid is with water both substances will then go thru the filter. As you may guess neither are flammable. For those who believe these filters are great,,,,ah, no, you have to check your fuel still and drain the filter daily.

Now days is not the cleaning solution it is the anti-icing solution that will kill you. Harmonic Vibe did an extensive investigation into why one of our aircraft flamed out hotfuelling. Long story short the filter in question(velcon) was compromised by anti-icing fluid. An interesting fact is that anti-icing fluid will go thru the filter and if the anti-icing fluid is with water both substances will then go thru the filter. As you may guess neither are flammable. For those who believe these filters are great,,,,ah, no, you have to check your fuel still and drain the filter daily.

In the days before JP-4 automatically came with anti-icing agents in it, everyone carried around aerosol cans of anti-icing agent named PRIST that was sprayed into your fuel tank as you refuelled. There were fairly tight guidelines on how much to spray in proportion to the amount of fuel one was taking-on. The reasons you have stated were the exact same ones related to me "way back when". Good points...thanks for the reminder bud.

Guest sharky

And from Velcon (this may be old news to some)

*****CAUTION*****

In fuels containing anti-icing additive (Di-EGME, FSII, Prist®), stagnant water bottoms can absorb large amounts of the anti-icing additive. This water/FSII solution can disarm water-absorbing elements allowing water to pass downstream. Daily draining of the monitor vessel and of water bottoms upstream of the elements is IMPERATIVE. Also, changeout @ 15 psid.

link

I also read somewhere, but cannot find on velcon's website, that their filters are rated for 1% of fuel flow, WRT water passing through the filter. If you pump, say, 25 gpm, then 1 litre of water could pass throught the filter before the element closes off fuel flow.

Your welcome Cap, interesting story about Steve. Sounds like he tried hard but got bitten,,,too bad.

Sharky thanks for that, the place we buy the non velcon filters had some article about not using them to pump jet fuel anymore but he wouldn't let me have a copy so am not sure if was sour grapes. Had an interesting experience with a sealed drum which was one third full of water. I looked in the drum(no didn't use paste as was lazy and it was back in hanger) it looked clean, turned on pump and it stopped, clear wix bowl went hazy....changed filters(go-no-go and wix), looked in drum again and looked clear, thought maybe the hose had been left outside and had water in it, put back in drum and again stopped. Got paste and ta da 15 gals of water in drum.....ya not the brightest bulb in the box.

The other thing with go-no go filters is that there are differents specs for a filter which may look identical,,,,i try to buy the ones with mil specs, they are twice the price but are worth it imho.

sc