Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tracking An Old B206 A

Border, what you talking about doing (using a destroyed A/C dataplate on another aiframe) is illegal.

You will probably not be able to certify the aircraft. I would not waste your time or money on pursuing this anymore.

CAP I know there are many pieced together aircraft out there but it does not mean it is right. And if you are comfortable strapping into an aircraft with a questionable history, have at 'er.

You are correct of course, but the whole subject just breaks me up "big time" It's a subject I don't intend delving into too deeply here, but let's just say that there exist in the world over 1,500 more Bell 205's than Bell manufactured themselves for the military AND the civilian marketplace or were made Under License for them. Bell are even aware of 212's with Single Hydraulics no less..........and Bell never manufactured any such a/c. I do know that they exist because I've SAT in those 212 flightdecks. Lastly, I used to use a micrcrometer to measure the forward bulkhead on the Bell mediums i flew for thickness, just out of curiosity and whatever I found out just stayed with me okay? I was interested only because I was "killing time" for example and I happened to know the thickness of the military ones from flying them in a place far away and long, long ago. I don't do that anymore because.................."winking" too much gives me a headache :lol: :lol: .

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Hello from Ireland,

Heres a photo of EI-APP from the olden days. Irelands first B206.

Would really like to see any more photos of her from those days if anyone has some.

Or indeed any other photos of helis in Ireland from those days. Not much is known here about helicopter operations from the 1960s anymore, so if anyone has any experiences or stories to tell please feel free.

Shane.

EIAPP.jpg

Hello from Ireland,

Heres a photo of EI-APP from the olden days. Irelands first B206.

Would really like to see any more photos of her from those days if anyone has some.

Or indeed any other photos of helis in Ireland from those days. Not much is known here about helicopter operations from the 1960s anymore, so if anyone has any experiences or stories to tell please feel free.

Shane.

EIAPP.jpg

These are a couple of shots of EI-AYP on the grounds of Powerscourt in Enniskerry circa 1974.

post-1646-1215726070_thumb.jpg

Here's another one I just dug up. Don you are right, it is Frank Harley. Check out the rates.

Thanks a million Dewey, I've never seen a picture of Yankie Pappa before either. Was that after your cross country flight?

Did you manage to find the Edward Kennedy photo?

What exactly were the helicopters used for by Irish Base Metals, the company doesnt seem to be around anymore but were obviously quite big then as they were one of the only private helicopter operators in Ireland. They had an address in Clontarf but im sure they probably based the aircraft at Dublin Airport?

Cheers, Shane.

Cobalt,

You're going to like these two photographs. Edward Kennedy, Pat and Loretta Hughes. Pat Hughes was a big wig in Irish Base Metals and Ted Kennedy was some sort of big wig in the USA. :rolleyes:

Both photos were taken with EI-APP.

post-1646-1216580716_thumb.jpg

post-1646-1216580745_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Cobalt,

You're going to like these two photographs. Edward Kennedy, Pat and Loretta Hughes. Pat Hughes was a big wig in Irish Base Metals and Ted Kennedy was some sort of big wig in the USA. :rolleyes:

Both photos were taken with EI-APP.

Hi Dewey,

Wow, great photos thanks very much for putting them up! I had lost my details for this forum and only just found them. Hence the massive delay! So apologies for the late reply.

So do you know if the Jetrangers operated by Irish Base Metals were corperate run-abouts or if they were prospecting using slung equipment or what?

Also the registered address of the company is in a very cool 60s looking building not far from my house but I doubt they landed the 206's there?

Regards, Shane.

The majority of the flying was for executive transportation. We know of one occasion where the aircraft was used for slinging seismic equipment around Donegal in 1968-1969.

On occasion in the late 1960s, the helicopter would land behind Irish Base Metal's office (Clontarf) in a paddock, for pick-up of passengers. Is this the cool building that you have mentioned? Probably. These occasional pick-ups were halted sometime in the 1970s as there had been security trouble concerning the IRA. Let me stress-no IRA trouble with this helicopter, just the government putting security messages in place.

It is interesting how the history of this aircraft keeps unfolding....