Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Your Favorite Heli

My favourite would have to be the FROEBE built in some farmers barn back when our own "Cap" was just starting his flying career,long before my time. Fokelore has it that Cap soloed on it. anyone who would have climbed onto that tractor seat and spun that sucker up must of had guts.The story I heard was that Cap went swooping down Portage Avenue at low level to the delight of all the young women working downtown ,then he pulled it up into a spectacular hammerhead when the cyclic snapped off.Cap bailed out and did a triple gainer and ending it with a monumentous belly flop into the Red River where the Forks are today.They don't make guys like that nowadays.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

407 1st 350b2 2nd but then again besides those two Ive only flown 206 lrs and the R22. But the 407 sure is fun bugs and all and way nicer to move a drill with but we wont get into that. Just sucks when you have to put the covers on.

post-664-1186671946_thumb.jpg

222 is a fine bird, got nearly 2 grand on them. Underpowered, and the SK76 walks all over it (sexy beast, my second favourite), but a stable platform. SK61 is a good old girl, but it shakes and rattles, and I've had an engine quit at a pretty inoppurtune time, a couple of fire lights, BIM lights, and while flying with an earlier poster (Hey Bud!) had a intermediate gearbox put us down in the parking lot of a pub in the dead of winter.

My first choice would be the Super Puma; gobs of power, fast, deiced, and can get me down to 75 feet without touching the controls....don't try that in a 61!

Bell Medium followed closely by Big Boeing.

Hard to beat the presence of a Big Bell...that sound is pure music. The 'hook gets marks for 150kt cruise, 25,000# on the hook and being able to plug your frying pan in to the 110ac outlet to cook venison burgers enroute.

Cheers,

AV8TOR