Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Kudos To Don Mctighe

Thanks Guys, but any praise over this incident should be directed to others....

The Comox Buffalo crew who gave us a pinpoint map location to search, which they determined from an IFR altitude of 16,000 overhead that afternoon. Well done gents !

The Two SAR Techs, Bruno and Scott who ran down through the bush and waded down the creek to reach the wreckage, extricated Kate, and carried her up the 200 meters to the waiting helicopter.

The Golden SAR crews who volunteer to help all persons who are in need in the Golden area, regardles of the personal hardships they may encounter. These guys and gals stood in ankle deep freezing water until 11PM extricating the remaining victims, after packing all of the Jaws-of-life apparatus down the hill in the dark. They are a truly dedicated and talented bunch of people.

Capt. Aaron Twa and the others in RCC Victoria who made the fast decision to hire a commercial aircraft when their Cormorant could not reach Golden in time.

These are the reasons that we had a successful outcome.

My job was easy. The weather was poor, but still about 3 mi/1000 ft when leaving Golden at 530 PM. These deep mountain valleys tend to trap fog, so we had to work a bit at exiting the main valley, nothing that we don't see on any ordinary winter day. When entering Redburn Ck, the weather actually picked up to about 5 miles - 7500 ovc. We narrowed down the search area with the use of a hand-held DF unit that Golden SAR had just received. Thankfully, the ELT signal was good. The aircraft was found in Redburn Ck on the 3rd pass of the valley, laying upside down in the water. Although we had the HETS system available to insert the SAR Techs on a fixed line, we were able to land close by. The Radio call from Bruno, saying that he was bringing up one survivor will be a moment that I will not soon forget. Positive outcomes in these situations are far too rare.

We are fortunate to have so many talented and dedicated SAR professionals watching over us in Canada. The Military crews do not get the appreciation or recognition that they deserve. I flew a mere 0.7 in daylight conditions, they are available 24/7/365 in any weather conditions and anywhere in Canada.

Well done guys from 442 in Comox !

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is that there is a great number of people and circumstances that contributed to this rescue coming off sucsessfully. There is one reporter tha seems to have captured the story well so far his article is here...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...NStory/National

the only thing he did wrong is peg the location and that's not a bad thing either though really

my 2 cents...

Well Done Don!

I was just about to send a PM your way saying the same thing befor I found this thread, youre a very humble person who has once again done a stellar job.

Of all the times I have mentioned seeing or hearing about your adventures this is the one that surpasses all the others.

Ill be out your way in the early new year, we'll be in touch befor then Im sure.

Cole