Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dumb Noob Question About (short!) Pilot Height...

Daz

Ok, so I'm a short-arse. :rolleyes: Like 5'3" in my socks...

It's my understanding that the Robinson R22 (seems to be the trainer of choice at the schools I'm looking at) doesn't have adjustable pedals or seat. Will I need blocks on the pedals? :P

Kidding aside, I've heard of shorter pilots using a back cushion to give 'em a little extra reach.

Is this feasible?

FWIW, I've operated a lot of vehicles and equipment - not all of which were very accomodating for someone of my (lack of) height, and I've always found a way to do it comfortably and safely. However, I can understand that proper fit - in terms of being able to operate the pedals through their full range - is more crucial in a helicopter than in, say, a snowcat.

In short (heh!), I'm adaptable. But I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,

Darren Burt

Invermere, BC

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Daz,

Not a dumb question at all!

Can't answer yer question about 22/300, but...

I know a gal who's probably 5'2" or so, drives 204 mostly, also 206 & Astar. She's got this gawdawful little toolbag that's gotta be full of enriched uranium, it's so heavy. It's her ballast bag 'cuz she ain't 'big' enough to be in the front seat by herself. (Sorry MS! :))

I can only hope to someday drive as well as her!

Cheers,

DM

we have a little tiny girl here flying the twotwo, 5' and about 90lbs. seems to do just fine with a back cushion. needs a ladder to check the TR links though :P

have about a half dozen petite girls using back pads in the R22 and 300's. seems to be the standard fix.

Nice to hear; thanks.

I'm in good company! A bunch of tiny little girls... and one short furry dude. :P

Good thing I'm not insecure. I can think of a lot of other short guys with a *big* Napoleon complex who'd have issue with this, but not me. I'll just build up a collection of cushions :)

Now ballast - that's not an issue. I'm pretty broad in the shoulders and got me a pair of skier/cyclist legs and a bubble-booty. 153lbs (*should be 143, but I'm working on it :D)

Nice to hear; thanks.

Good thing I'm not insecure. I can think of a lot of other short guys with a *big* Napoleon complex who'd have issue with this, but not me. I'll just build up a collection of cushions :)

THANK GOD. Being a tall guy (6'4") I find most short guys just sneer at me because of their aformentioned Napolean complex... maybe they just think I'm going to be an arsehole to them because I'm tall and they're not as tall.

To answer you original question (which has already been answered) I think you'll do fine in terms of size. It's a lot easier to stretch into a 22 than it is to shrink into a 22. To quote a certain CFI from out west refering to a really tall guy in a 22 "It was like seeing a dog trying to #### a football!"

Cheers,

Murdoch

Heck, I don't even think much about my height - except when i'm being pragmatic and realistic about it - hence the question about reaching the pedals in an R22.

Being short has never been an issue for me, and the only person I've ever felt the need to prove anything to is myself. Judging by the other short guys I know, I'm a bit of an exception to the rule...

I've always felt that how tall a person stands is more about their character and less about actual physical height. By that reckoning, I think I'm tall enough :D.

Everything I've read about flying in an R22 mirrors what you said - it's more an issue for the tall guys than us wee folk. That said, I thought I'd ask about the other end of the spectrum. Thanks for your post!

Darren in Invermere

Haha, smashed my head on the r22 every time I sat in it.

The 300 has fully adjustable pedals and actually accomadates the smaller guys. Personally im not looking forward to scaring up my lid when I have to stick it out the door doing long line work.

Haha, smashed my head on the r22 every time I sat in it.

The 300 has fully adjustable pedals and actually accomadates the smaller guys. Personally im not looking forward to scaring up my lid when I have to stick it out the door doing long line work.

Cheers, Cole. I read a little bit somewhere about the 300 being a bit more adjustable, but it's nice to hear it from someone who has spent time in the right seat. Sometimes it's nice to be a short guy - I have plenty of legroom in whatever I'm driving :)

In reference to scarring up yer lid - just whack a bunch o' stickers on the top - those little Chiquita ones that you peel off the bananas in your lunchbox will do - and that way you'll scratch the stickers, not yer helmet. :lol:

j/k of course... heck, if (when) I get to the longline stage I'll be lucky if I can stick my head out the door and still reach the collective. :P

On that note - a few years back there was a pilot who flew for RK Heli Ski who had the controls in his machine on the left specifically for long line work - apparently he preferred it that way. As ski patrollers, we had to go over and be briefed on that particular machine (an A-Star, if memory serves) in case we ever needed to do a Med-Evac off of the ski hill (meant loading in the opposite side from the 212).

One more reason to come to creston daz. The 300, c model, is right PIC (Pilot in command). So you would be flying on the left hand side of the helicopter, and longlining would be done leaning over top of the collective.

The fun part is having all of your gauges, dials, and the switches on the right.

Cole