Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bh205b

HTP

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, the 212 S from Eagle is a sweet ship. All the good of a 212 (11,200lb gross) without the hassle of two engines, the T53-17, new panel, and all zero-timed components, yes, ZERO-TIMED. Its basically a brand new helicopter. But like the 210, very expensive.

The fit and finish of the machine I worked on was near-perfect. It also had a ton of Dart up-grades such as the door roller kits, fuel manifold drain kit, glass windshields, steps, ect.

The wiring was all new, the instruments new, and the nicest part for an engineer was the transmission pylon was converted from a 212 to a 205 type, ie: larger inspection holes to access the T/R drive coupling. Also, the transmission itself is the latest and greatest version with the higher torque limits and extra chip detector. She is also very fast. 120 kts and smooth as glass. My pilot had to watch he didn't exceed VNE in the cold winter air.

Eagle hit this one out of the park. Too bad about the 9-seat limitation tho. That rule sounded like sour grapes from Bell and the failed 210 experiment.

Yup, you are so right, one sweet ship!! Worked beside one for a few weeks last season. Even though all the gubbins are new or "0" timed I was told the actual airframe is not as only Bell has the authority to do that. Could you or someone verify that for me??

Hey guys,

I have been watching the Eagle 212S with some interest. But why the 9 seat restriction?

Cause some morron at TC decided it was a new aircraft and since somewhere around 1998 any new aircraft certified with one engine is limited to 9 pax what a *&^% wad :down: :down:

Yup, you are so right, one sweet ship!! Worked beside one for a few weeks last season. Even though all the gubbins are new or "0" timed I was told the actual airframe is not as only Bell has the authority to do that. Could you or someone verify that for me??

To clarify, You are correct, the total airframe time is not zeroed-out. I meant to say all the rotating and time-lifed parts are zero-time. sorry for the confusion.

Only a manufacturer can re-zero an airframe, such as Bell did with the 210

The 9 passenger limitation is in palce as the result of an accident with a 205 on a fire many years ago. It went into place with one particular fire service and spread to other fire services from there. MoT merely 'climbed onboard' from there.....and used the same reason.

There didn't have to be a limitation to 9 passengers and was the reult of a 205 pilot deciding that he would take-off in 0/0 visibility and a T/O a straight-out over a lake. Loosing visibility very quickly, the pilot made a very sharp turn, the M/R blades struk the water and the 205 catapaulted into the lake. In one of the back two side facing seats was a fire attack officer. Once it started to sink, he tried to get out, but hadn't been shown how to knock-down the back of the forward-facing seat in order to extricate himself from his position. The result was that he drowned and that particular fire service made the now well-known restriction and turned all the rest of the Bell Medium category of a/c into Bell 204's with regards how many pax they can take.

I was there the day of the accident and it never should have happened. Without that stupid accident that didn't have to happen, there would be no restriction to 9 pax that we see almost everywhere today. So for this one gentlemen, it's one of your peers who caused that rule and wasn't instigated by MoT.

The 9 passenger limitation is in palce as the result of an accident with a 205 on a fire many years ago. It went into place with one particular fire service and spread to other fire services from there. MoT merely 'climbed onboard' from there.....and used the same reason.

There didn't have to be a limitation to 9 passengers and was the reult of a 205 pilot deciding that he would take-off in 0/0 visibility and a T/O a straight-out over a lake. Loosing visibility very quickly, the pilot made a very sharp turn, the M/R blades struk the water and the 205 catapaulted into the lake. In one of the back two side facing seats was a fire attack officer. Once it started to sink, he tried to get out, but hadn't been shown how to knock-down the back of the forward-facing seat in order to extricate himself from his position. The result was that he drowned and that particular fire service made the now well-known restriction and turned all the rest of the Bell Medium category of a/c into Bell 204's with regards how many pax they can take.

I was there the day of the accident and it never should have happened. Without that stupid accident that didn't have to happen, there would be no restriction to 9 pax that we see almost everywhere today. So for this one gentlemen, it's one of your peers who caused that rule and wasn't instigated by MoT.

I thought the FAA had more to do with this rule than TC? Hence my belief this has/had some influence from Bell trying to flog the 212 and 412.

Anybody heard of this angle?...anything to add?

That was my take on this Artic Front. When the Americans started to bring back the old airframes from the military mainly for fire fightingand vertical reference work ,say about 20 years ago, one of the restrictions on the single engine 205 series, was a limit of 9 pax.

I cannot remember why, but it probably goes back to the original FAA certification of the 204, and being ex-military, nobody wanted to go to the expence of re-certifying an ex-military 205 to civilian specs.

I would further suggest the reason why it made it,s way north, was Cap,s explanation, but it definatley originated down south.