Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The "non-rev" Myth....

If it's flying and I'm at the controls, I don't care who's paying for it, but I'm getting my wage. If not, you can find someone else, I'm just as dead or injured if there's an accident. Moving or test flying A/C is the cost of business, you pay for the fuel, you pay for the pilot. Pretty simple concept really.

I'm not sure how this whole thing started back in the day, but it's absolutely got to be the most ridiculous thing in our industry. Bar none.

When will pilots start to universally demand to be paid for their services? We won't even talk about rates, so at least have the self respect to get money for actually DOING your job.

If this theory were taken to it's extreme, Gov't workers wouldn't be paid at all... Wait a minute, I take it all back!

Tis the season...

AR

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's flying and I'm at the controls, I don't care who's paying for it, but I'm getting my wage. If not, you can find someone else, I'm just as dead or injured if there's an accident. Moving or test flying A/C is the cost of business, you pay for the fuel, you pay for the pilot. Pretty simple concept really.

I'm not sure how this whole thing started back in the day, but it's absolutely got to be the most ridiculous thing in our industry. Bar none.

When will pilots start to universally demand to be paid for their services? We won't even talk about rates, so at least have the self respect to get money for actually DOING your job.

If this theory were taken to it's extreme, Gov't workers wouldn't be paid at all... Wait a minute, I take it all back!

Tis the season...

AR

For the most part, I agree with you but...I'll bet you don't mind getting 4Hr. mins on man-up and only flying 2 Hrs of patrols :unsure: ....Just saying you have to look for the balance even if it's tough to find.

Max

Max

For the most part, I agree with you but...I'll bet you don't mind getting 4Hr. mins on man-up and only flying 2 Hrs of patrols :unsure: ....Just saying you have to look for the balance even if it's tough to find.

Max

Max

You need the 4 hour mins to keep you sane, when you are sat in the middle of a bog all day, fighting off bugs the size of birds to HOPEFULLY get 2 hours of flying.

But I am told my HUGE monthly retainer covers all the non rev, including the 10 ferry flights <_<

Oh well, I don't think it is all that bad at the end of the day :rolleyes:

@#$@&!!!!!!

*&($#@*^@)'N *^*&^%%erds.....!!!!!

Lmao... Better??? Do I hear a 9? Anyone, anyone? Buhler? Buhler?

BTW, mins are there for a reason, and NO they shouldn't get averaged, that too is BS. Might as well roll everything into one rant, right?? LOL

AR

PS I do get paid for ferries, and I don't get Mins averaged, but I'm sick of seeing the looks of abject disbelief on other pilot's faces when you tell them that!

Give em S%#T! Auto...

I've been saying that for years and it still blows me away the adverse reaction it provokes in most people. The bottom line is I paid for my license out of my pocket, why should I then turn around and provide my services, experience and expertise for free. I still have to plan, prepare and perform my duties for all eventualities including emergencies. When the engine quits on a non rev cross country flight am I able to throw my hands up, do nothing and say screw it, I'm getting paid for this?

I look at it this way... Don't consider it flight pay, consider it danger pay. Anytime you are flying you are at risk / danger regardless of wether or not someone is footing the bill, plain & simple.

But that's just my 2 cents!

Bizzo ------careful buddy because you don't want 'to go there'. I can do any length of tour thqt you care to think of and I'm safer doing that tour then I am after I come home, wife picks me up and we drive 7 miles that are more dangerous than my tour. Like I already said, 'don't go there' because there's all kinds of quicksand ahead,

AR ------- you have to talk and think like a whore my friend. How's that? Well you don't give 'service' until money has been discussed and agreed upon because you don't give anything away. If you're going to be treated like a whore, than you can at least act and talk like one. :lol: Just don't stand on my corner okay. :lol::lol:

Cap

well it goes without saying that that life is full of potentially fatal or harmful circumstances but the fact is that you don't earn your living driving home with your wife from the airport, that is not the area in which you are a trained professional.