Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anyone Training In Springbank Airport This Fall? Apartments?

Jordan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't have much time to elaborate,

I have heard from a student that was planning to start Oct 1st, and two others closely connected, that the school will not run it's program this year because they don't feel confident they will be able to hire any of the graduates.

I have never met any of them in person so until we here anything official from the school, please take it for what it is, but hopefully Jordan can shed some light on the situation as I'm sure they wouldn't simply send a letter to one student.

Again, sorry to leave a cliffhanger like that.

Cole

Cole is right. I won't be needing an apartment in Calgary anytime soon. I recieved a letter in the mail from GSHL saying they will not be running the school this year. Basically the letter said that they can't comfortably offer employment to any graduates in the spring of 2009, and they did not want anyone to make such a substantial investment in training with them if they would not be able to consider them for emplyment. It came as a pretty big shock, and i was pretty sad as i was really looking forward to this course. BUT, it was good of GSHL to do what they did. I would rather this happen then for me to spend all that money and be jobless for the next few years. This really shows they are not training to make money, but simply they intend to hire the pilots upon completion. So now i'm going to wait it out, and hopefully it will re-open next year. Great Slave Helicopters is a great company, and very professional, and i hope one day i will be able to train and work with them.

Cole is right. I won't be needing an apartment in Calgary anytime soon. I recieved a letter in the mail from GSHL saying they will not be running the school this year. Basically the letter said that they can't comfortably offer employment to any graduates in the spring of 2009, and they did not want anyone to make such a substantial investment in training with them if they would not be able to consider them for emplyment. It came as a pretty big shock, and i was pretty sad as i was really looking forward to this course. BUT, it was good of GSHL to do what they did. I would rather this happen then for me to spend all that money and be jobless for the next few years. This really shows they are not training to make money, but simply they intend to hire the pilots upon completion. So now i'm going to wait it out, and hopefully it will re-open next year. Great Slave Helicopters is a great company, and very professional, and i hope one day i will be able to train and work with them.

You do realize there are other flight schools/helicopter companies out there don't you?? Kudos to GS for letting you know but on the other hand it wouldn't stop me from training elsewhere. You are in this for you, not GS, correct? Keep in mind there are no gaurantees, just opportunities and they're everywhere if you mind to look for them. Good luck

Cheers.

I guess that means no Pilot Idol this year.

• 1 month later...