Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Croc Swats Heli Out Of Sky In Oz....

Or so one might think.....

AR

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8112062.stm

Crocodile causes helicopter crash

A helicopter pilot in Australia became so excited when he spotted a crocodile that he flew in for a closer look - and crashed into mudflats.

He suffered minor injuries, but his passenger was seriously hurt in the crash near the northern city of Darwin.

Concerned that his friend could catch hypothermia, the pilot buried him in sand before raising the alarm.

Medical officials said doctors thought the man was dead - until they saw his head moving in the sand.

Air-ambulance operator Careflight said in a statement that the pilot had been flying along the Dundee Beach, 60km (37 miles) from Darwin, when he tried to turn to look at a crocodile.

"The pilot said after starting the turn the next thing he remembered was being upside down in the mud," the statement said.

"The pilot dragged his passenger to the safety of the shore, away from crocodiles, then buried the man in the sand up to his neck in an attempt to prevent his companion from developing hypothermia."

The pilot then used his satellite phone to alert emergency services.

Ian Badham, director of Careflight, said the case was "bizarre".

"A doctor thought initially the passenger was dead as he was buried in sand," Mr Badham said.

"It turned out that the pilot had realised it might take rescue services until daylight to actually get there."

Mr Badham said the passenger was being treated in hospital for head, chest and arm injuries.

Just curious but are there any rules about dive bombing or harrassing wild life, in Australia. Cattle not included.

There are in Canada purdy sure! :huh:

Sure glad the dude or buddy didn't get eaten. :o

HF

Remark to self: Absolutely NO low flying over creatures that could eat me! :)

Just curious but are there any rules about dive bombing or harrassing wild life, in Australia. Cattle not included.

There are in Canada purdy sure! :huh:

Sure glad the dude or buddy didn't get eaten. :o

HF

Remark to self: Absolutely NO low flying over creatures that could eat me! :)

Yes happy feet there are laws about harassing wildlife down under, although I'm sure the kangaroos would disagree. :D

It is fortunate that the pilot could drag his mate out of harms way and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

"Crocodiles, the great survivors from the dinosaur age, are only found in the more tropical regions of Australia; northern Queensland, the Northern Territory and the northern parts of Western Australia. Of the world’s 23 species of crocodile and alligator, only two species exist in Australia; the freshwater croc (”freshie”) and saltwater croc (”salty”). Both are protected species in Australia.

Freshies are normally found in rivers, lakes, billabongs and other permanent bodies of fresh water. They rarely grow beyond three metres, are not know to attack and will generally leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Salties on the other hand, can be found in both fresh and salt water — if in doubt, always assume they are present in the area. Of the two, salties are by far the more dangerous, growing to lengths of seven metres and weighing over 1000 kilograms. With a much larger head and stronger jaws than the freshie, large adult salties will easily eat kangaroos, wallabies and wild pigs. Although uncommon, salties will attack and have killed 14 people since 1974. The stats are around 1 per year, although in 2005 tragically it was 3.

How do I Avoid a Croc Attack?

• Never swim were salties are present — especially at night. I would extend this to freshies as well.

• Take notice of ALL warning signs in crocodile areas — especially after the rainy season when flood waters are receding - that would include mud flats..

• Don’t clean fish at the edge of the water

• Camp at least 50 metres from the edge of any water

• Don’t leave food or leftovers near the water

• When fishing, never wade into water where crocs may be present

• Don’t collect water from the same spot everyday -— salties have been known to stalk campers and fishermen"

I should add - keep your dog close, they've been known to take quite a few.

How do I Avoid a Croc Attack?[/b]

• Never swim were salties are present — especially at night. I would extend this to freshies as well.

• Take notice of ALL warning signs in crocodile areas — especially after the rainy season when flood waters are receding - that would include mud flats..

• Don’t clean fish at the edge of the water

• Camp at least 50 metres from the edge of any water

• Don’t leave food or leftovers near the water

• When fishing, never wade into water where crocs may be present

• Don’t collect water from the same spot everyday -— salties have been known to stalk campers and fishermen"

In other words:

Drink bottled water, and stick to showers - during daylight hours.... Preferably with a buddy.

****, from what I understand, the entire continent is hiding in the bloody bushes waiting to eat you....

I guess even Crocs get the urge to swat Robinson products out of the air.... ;)

AR