Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Howie Pinchbeck

It is with great regret that we announce the passing of an icon of the helicopter industry.

Howie Pinchbeck passed away at his home in Chase, BC where he lived after his retirement from a long and illustrious career in the helicopter industry.

Information will be posted for his memorial service as they become available.

Ray Khan

Highland Helicopters.

Very sorry to hear this news...... I only worked for Highland for a short time in the 80's but have fond memories of Howie............my condolences to his family and friends.

Howie, say hello to Terry for me as I'm sure the two of you will have a few cold ones and chuckles......

This is a tragic loss. Howie was the best guy you could imagine working for and helped me tremendously in my career. I will forever miss his gruff honesty and heart of gold.

I will always remember during my interview with him how he threatened to pull out my earrings if he ever saw them in his shop (He noticed the holes in my ears but I wasn't wearing any earrings). I had long hair at the time too and Howie hated it but he thought I was a good wrench so we were all good. Because of him I got a haircut and ditched the earrings.

I remember using a Ford wrench on some hydraulic fittings on a 206 and Howie walking by me with a critical look. I thought he might have thought I was using a pipe wrench from afar. I walked up to him to make sure we were all good. "Howie that wasn't a pipe-wrench if you were wondering." He replies,"I don't give a f*ck what it was as long as you don't break the helicopter and I know what a Ford wrench looks like." He wasn't mad or annoyed either. It made me smile at the time and gave everyone in the hangar a good laugh.

Howie was also the first supervisor I ever really accepted criticism from. He took the time to honestly tell me how I could be a better AME and I changed my game forever because of it.

You better have Clamato in the fridge too.....or be prepared to go get some.

I owe him a lot and part of me aches for this loss. Truly a great man and a tragic loss to all who knew him.

Blessings and best wishes to his family and friends.

PS - Ray I see now that you left a message for me today. It somehow got lost in the mix. Please give my best wishes to everyone back at the shop who was saddened by this news. I know you thought highly of Howie like we all did.....crappy day.

This is a tragic loss. Howie was the best guy you could imagine working for and helped me tremendously in my career. I will forever miss his gruff honesty and heart of gold.

I will always remember during my interview with him how he threatened to pull out my earrings if he ever saw them in his shop (He noticed the holes in my ears but I wasn't wearing any earrings). I had long hair at the time too and Howie hated it but he thought I was a good wrench so we were all good. Because of him I got a haircut and ditched the earrings.

I remember using a Ford wrench on some hydraulic fittings on a 206 and Howie walking by me with a critical look. I thought he might have thought I was using a pipe wrench from afar. I walked up to him to make sure we were all good. "Howie that wasn't a pipe-wrench if you were wondering." He replies,"I don't give a f*ck what it was as long as you don't break the helicopter and I know what a Ford wrench looks like." He wasn't mad or annoyed either. It made me smile at the time and gave everyone in the hangar a good laugh.

Howie was also the first supervisor I ever really accepted criticism from. He took the time to honestly tell me how I could be a better AME and I changed my game forever because of it.

You better have Clamato in the fridge too.....or be prepared to go get some.

I owe him a lot and part of me aches for this loss. Truly a great man and a tragic loss to all who knew him.

Blessings and best wishes to his family and friends.

PS - Ray I see now that you left a message for me today. It somehow got lost in the mix. Please give my best wishes to everyone back at the shop who was saddened by this news. I know you thought highly of Howie like we all did.....crappy day.

Very well said, ame.

So long, Howie, RIP.

Jerry

Very sad news indeed, I worked with Howie almost 20 years ago and then often saw him on the Friday afternoon stop at Bakerstreet in Richmond.

Rest peacefully old friend, say hello to the rest of the pack up there.

RH

Very sad to hear of Howies passing. I worked with Howie for 13 years at Kenting and our paths crossed a few times since then. A very good guy, full of integrity with a great sense of humour. "Howie, herricopter go 'krick'" Sincere condolances to all of his family.