Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

E&b Helicopters

duf

Wow Duf

End my career, now why would you want to do something like that all because of a small difference of opinion.

I hope they at some schools don't make these kind of threats to students? Oh right! no one person can ruin another, no one has that amount of power.

Oh and as for the 3000hrs , its been seasonal, and not once have I put on my knee pads or paid for a single endorsement.

So I 'm proud of that.

Cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add

When I first considered this as a career, I fired off 30+ e-mails to operators asking for recommendations for schools...

Of the 30+ I got about 7 replies that weren't totally generic and 5 of those recommended BC Helicopters

Duf, go there with your eyes open - not sure what the comment about "not hiring high time pilots as they have to fly the E&B way", was about, but sounds, well, interesting. CFI is critical in any school, I also know Ed (most everyone does) - I don't believe instructs and I don't know who the CFI is so can't comment. Don't get stuck on "hiring from the students", the flip side is the same, "what will other companies think if you didn't get hired by the school". Either way doesn't make a bunch of difference, most don't get hired by the school and they get work also.

I know some Chinook instructors, they start with 22,000 hrs experience and go down to a low time instructor or 6,000 hrs or so - with lots of operational experience. There are pros and cons to what machine to learn on - if you want to get hours and a better chance of getting a job a R22 or 44 endorsement is helpful, probably more than a 206, but training on a 47 is also a good thing. It doesn't hurt to get an endorsement from a different school after getting your licence - you get to see other instructors' techniques etc.

Regarding the cyclic grip, remember when you get flying, keep the left hand on the collective unless you have to do something like flip a switch etc. That extra second or two you'll have when the engine quits will mean a lot - especially when you're close to the ground, don't take it off the collective, period.

By the looks of things, I don't have to tell you not to believe everything SOMEONE posts on this forum.

i'm not going to take the bait other than to say that chinook has a good group of instructors, also very experienced.......

that reference to the "t/r oil thing"? all i can say is i hope YOU never make a mistake and live your life perfectly. a comment like that shows everyone your true nature. remember, what goes around, comes around..........

i am quite proud of my students. i won't quote numbers here (other than to say 3 were hired last week alone :up: ) but if you drop by the school, i'll fill you in.

rob dyck

instructor bc helicopters

aka 412driver

that reference to the "t/r oil thing"? all i can say is i hope YOU never make a mistake and live your life perfectly. a comment like that shows everyone your true nature. remember, what goes around, comes around..........

Early on in my training, I had a conversation with the DOM at the flight school. He said two things to me that I'll never forget:

1 - "Don't try to be the best pilot. Try to be the pilot who lives the longest."

and

2 - "There are two categories of pilots: Those who have had accidents and those who will..."

A big part of being a human being is we aren't perfect. We all make mistakes and (hopefully) learn from them.

Overconfidence and believing you're impervious to anything (the Superman complex) are two surefire ways to live a short life...

As far as schools go, I think the quality of the school counts for something, but the most important thing is the quality of the student. How good a pilot you will be will depend on how much of yourself you invest in your training (and I'm not talking $ & ¢ here)...

Just my 2¢... :up: