Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night Time

OK I need to get my night restriction removed. How can I get the required time the cheapest? I need about 20 hrs.

I have heard that some guys have taken lessons in a cessna until they can solo and then go solo at night until they have topped up their night time. I've called transport to see if this is legit (because I'm not licensed on fixed wing) but no one there knows s*** from shinola.

Who has done this? Has it worked? How long ago did you do it?

Thanks in advance from the peanut gallery on weather this is "save" or not but I'm a big boy.

Another cheap option is going to the US and renting an R22 for about $200/hr.

Thanks

• Like 1

I did it here in Victoria and it was basically $5000 for 10 hours... The us option could work but you need 5 hours solo. That may be a problem if you don't have the FAA licence. Look into it I'm not certain on that!

As for the airplane way, I think you need a license for the time to count.

Good luck out there!

I'm not positive but I don't think you get the tax savings if you do it in the states. I guess it depends on what tax bracket you're in and all that but on the other side of the coin don't you only need 10hours night flying to get your american license? An american license would come in handy at times.It might make sense to do it all in the states.

did mine in the states while getting my FAA CPL/IFR, just did most of my IFR training and XC requirements at night, killed 2 birds with one stone. still need to get around to converting it over to a canadian Night rating, but so far not an employment requirement yet...

Do the ICAO conversion of your TC CPL to an FAA private which is just paperwork. It will take minimum one week and can be up to six weeks. Then you can fly in the US logging the night PIC even with an instructor. You can find an R22 for cheap with a "time building" CFI in the $150. hour range, or go to one of the numerous schools for $230. to $300. per hour.

I would do it with you here in Alaska but would have to wait till fall when we get night again and I'm not so busy doing 135 and 133 work.

PM me if you do want US contacts I know CFI's who can help you in Washington State too.

You could check out Red Eagle Aviation at Spring Bank (CYBW) they are the only FAA helicopter flight school in Canada. They fly S300 CBi's, now I might be wrong but I THINK you can fly their N registered aircraft with your Canadian licence. They run in the $300 range. I know they have a number of people that would do time building with you to share costs.

OK I need to get my night restriction removed. How can I get the required time the cheapest? I need about 20 hrs.

I have heard that some guys have taken lessons in a cessna until they can solo and then go solo at night until they have topped up their night time. I've called transport to see if this is legit (because I'm not licensed on fixed wing) but no one there knows s*** from shinola.

Who has done this? Has it worked? How long ago did you do it?

Thanks in advance from the peanut gallery on weather this is "save" or not but I'm a big boy.

Another cheap option is going to the US and renting an R22 for about $200/hr.

Thanks

Interesting question...... it would be a hard one for TC to answer. Bottom line is that if you are solo you are PIC, as there is no one else in the A/C. It doesn't matter if you have a license or not, it should still qualify as PIC. If you were doing a commercial license you would have to do the night time before you had the license, as it is a requirement to get the commercial.

Before you do buck up to get the night I would clear it with TC, they are really picky about the night time requirements for an ATPL. One inspector will interpret the rules differently than another, also the interpretations change between different regions. Deal with one inspector.

Hope that helps.....

Under TC rules, you need a License of some kind (Pilot license) to log PIC at night (for solo), thus if you have a heli license, you can fly solo night in an airplane, altho you'd need a pile of hours.

WRT doing it in the US, it is all fine, but you STILL need to meet the TC requirements, to get the restriction removed, ie, 5 additional instrument, 5 dual and 5 solo (pic) at night, if not, the whole game is just a waste... But by all means do those things in the US to save moeny, and then later ask if TC will approve it. Most times they will, but they seem to be good at finding loopholes to restrict that sometimes...

Cheers

H.