Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Contract Mins

+1. Speaking from experience, it's best to understand a contract before agreeing to it. :)

Agreed, but cut the kid some slack. He/she is working a first tour that includes averaged mins, dictated by the customer.

Works for company X that gets hired by customer X to do some work that includes averaged mins...that's it.

Not as good as cumulative mins but better than a kick in the butt.

• Like 2

Ah Yes, averaging mins. The big thing is to get a clear definition of what is being averaged. For example is unused mins included in the pilot/AME mins? Are travel days included, negotiate all that (preferrably in writing) before accepting the contract.

Averaged mins are not that bad if they are short term. I have been screwed on long term contracts like this. 90 day averaged contract bad because if you come in and the pilot before you and the pilot after you fly more than the minimums and you do not fly it comes out of your minimums. ie Pilot 1 works 30 days and flys 110 hours Pilot 2 works 30 days and flys 60 hours and thinks he is being paid for 90 Pilot 3 comes along and finishes the contract and flys 100 hrs gets paid for the 100 hours and the guy in the middle does not get his 30 hours of mins because pilot 1 and 3 flew the mins and all the company will pay is what they get paid for . I have been screwed on this system all bad

In my example above all the hours were accounted for. 270 for 90 days. So the guy caught in the middle would get paid over and above the the total mins???? Don't think so, he would sit in camp for a bunch of days for less than mins I would think. Been there. Try and tell the owner that he has to pay more than the total hours for the contract the accountants will be quick to tell you to pound sand.

No wonder you had to go to the other side of the world to work.

Well the truth of the matter is that I also work as a contract pilot in Canada when its busy VFR. I am also am a newly appointed production test pilot for one of the majors (in Canada). the other six onths of the year to supplement my pitifull 120K per 6 months offshore position( 18% tax rate) work salary.

Oh man, if you are not concerned if the machine sits or not...am I ever glad that I don't swap machines with you...and yes I get paid mins!

I do care if the AC is flying but really the finaicial risk is the problem of the person or company the makes the big bucks- Not me the pilot who provides a service.

Anyway carry on - Or maybe I should just apply to Mcdonalds or get out? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ( roll eyes)

Jerk Offs!

Well the truth of the matter is that I also work as a contract pilot in Canada when its busy VFR. I am also am a newly appointed production test pilot for one of the majors (in Canada). the other six onths of the year to supplement my pitifull 120K per 6 months offshore position( 18% tax rate) work salary.

I do care if the AC is flying but really the finaicial risk is the problem of the person or company the makes the big bucks- Not me the pilot who provides a service.

Anyway carry on - Or maybe I should just apply to Mcdonalds or get out? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ( roll eyes)

Jerk Offs!

Sorry for that should be more diplomatic! And understand the full implications of Asch comformity experiment. Sorry- tried to edit but can't. Sincerity!

Cheers

P5