Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

"A Good Call Guys" Revisited

now that some time has passed, and i stumbled across the video again, it has been updated with many opinions on the subject.

I have decided to resurect the commentary from you guys.

Unfortunately the old thread was closed. gee i wonder why? Will you all jump on the minority bandwagon??? or will calmer heads prevail??

Anyways, the video is the same, the pages of comments share a similiar theme...don't shoot the messenger, I am only bringing to the light I was not the only one who was critical. Worldwide coverage rocks. Gotta love youtube

• Like 4

now that some time has passed, and i stumbled across the video again, it has been updated with many opinions on the subject.

I have decided to resurect the commentary from you guys.

Unfortunately the old thread was closed. gee i wonder why? Will you all jump on the minority bandwagon??? or will calmer heads prevail??

Anyways, the video is the same, the pages of comments share a similiar theme...don't shoot the messenger, I am only bringing to the light I was not the only one who was critical. Worldwide coverage rocks. Gotta love youtube

So you can't find any current Threads to criticize or complain about so you're bringing up this old news? It was closed for a reason and I think most of us aren't interested in feeding into your need for stirring up #### yet again. Having said that, don't expect a comment back from me to what ever kind of remark you think to be witty or degrading in answer to my reply.

Get a life man...

• Like 5

Every pilot reading this forum who has more than about 150 hrs (or maybe 110hrs?! or 50 hrs?) has made sphincter-clenching mistakes. What bush pilot hasn't looked at the ends of the m/r blades at some point and thought, "Those scratches were there when I took over the machine, weren't they"? No one takes off thinking, "Hey, today's the day I'll stick the tail rotor into a power line".

Does paperwork make us safer? Do SOPs make us safer? Does a "safety culture" (whatever that means) make us safer? Sure, they can. Why not?

Why not?! Because the mark 1 homo sapiens is not a frikking computer that'll dogmatically reproduce a static set of responses perfectly time and time again. Therein lies our brilliance and our weakness.

Paper, SOPs and culture can have an impact. So does boredom, ego and get-home-itis. See the "Dirty Dozen".

To the Ladies and Gentlemen who maintain and fly helicopters I say, "Do your utmost to be safe, and to keep your friends and colleagues safe". To the rest I say, "Thank you for your comments, I'll keep your concerns in mind". And I mean that quite sincerely.

Dick Mitten

(and darned proud of it!)

• Like 16