Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pretty Cool Gov't Video-vertol Logging!

duf

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on the logging thing...

Worked under a 107 for a week or so in my hooking days,filling in, good machine. Comes up that hill FAST!!! The barge I was on I think was the Horizon, (there was 4 of them anyways.) was looking for a 8000 turn weight average, but only if it came off the hill CLEAN, no tie ups or struggling etc. Pounds by the hour was and still is the most important factor. 6-7000 on the first few turns wasn't a bad thing. Also the max weight on each machine was a little different, ie a bingo on the one I was on if I recall was around 9800 or so. The one thing I remembered in comparison with other Heli-companies was that they only took ONE turn over gross off the hill in one week!! I remember the first over gross turn I sent....up without a hitch, like popcorn....PLING...punched it off, thankfully only a 2 on 2. Only one hook made a guy think too much sometimes but I found it made the hookers that much more professional, considering what we did.

As for the weights well it comes with experience and the lay of the land. Larch is heavy on the coast but down near cranbrook where there is/used to be mountains of it, it was quite light given the look of it. Large growth rings. Hemlock was consistently the heaviest wood hence the name "Hemrock". Fir was always the best logging as the ground was always clean and choking very easy. Fir weight always varied with the area and bark thickness was kind of misleading, but once a guy dialed it in it never changed. Cedar on the other hand was like craps sometimes. A green dry cedar 48" at the flare and a consistant 34"-36" through 12 ft could weigh anywhere from 6500 to 10+. And thats if it wasn't cracked and only half of it comes up.!!! Mixing big uns and little uns was always troublesome as well as the big cedar root structure is wide spread rather than deep and the small stuff fell with it grows on top of it. Soooo lots of water in the big stuff and none in the small stuff. Only logged any serious spruce in the Interior. Always a big taper to the stuff so it was never as heavy as a guy would hope. The one thing about Interior Spruce is this... 2 equal pieces 20 ft apart on an equal slope BUT one is in a 3 ft deep runoff depression... one flies out at 9500 ( this is a Shortsky) the next one flies off just the same except the machine drops like a rock and the hook fails to release. 12 grand tends to do that. Needless to say I left poor old Joe the challenge of literally dragging/skidding the turn to the landing.

Now that I fly, and if I ever end up logging, I hope I never meet a guy like me at the end of the rope!!!