Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Todays Job Market

It's really quite unbelievable the ammount of Job's that are avialable for both Pilots and Engineers... What happened...? The economy is still just barely making it...and the global outlook is bleak! So what has changed in the last 18 months and why all of sudden are there so many adverts out for aircrew..? there also seems to be an increased amout of adverts for Pilots on the HRDC jobs website...Havent checked the Northern Miner lately?!

Any insight or a clear reason or combination of reasons to help explian this recent change would be appreciated..

P5 :up:

Mining exploration in the north. Can't find enough crews willing to work in the northern camps at this time of year.

A number of crews moving into the IFR world, some leaving the industry, creating openings.

Also the lack of foreign workers... not many visas have been issued since pilots got scrapped from the desired foreign worker's list.

STARS hired around 30 pilots for three new bases and like Ray mentioned lots of pilots are getting their IFR ticket to trade for a better life style, fixed salary and no more camping in tents in the North.

Also the lack of foreign workers... not many visas have been issued since pilots got scrapped from the desired foreign worker's list.

STARS hired around 30 pilots for three new bases and like Ray mentioned lots of pilots are getting their IFR ticket to trade for a better life style, fixed salary and no more camping in tents in the North.

I do not recall ever seeing Air Pilot on the list, unless you can provide us with a copy of the list that you have.....

Guest 47yrLowTimer

Still same old same old.

If you've got a 1000+ hours Bob's your Uncle.

Anything below and it's still all on a wing and a prayer.

Though, I will say that there are alot more maybe's this year.

• Like 3

With pretty much every company out there looking for pilots I don't understand why poor Tezza in the employment section got so many negative reps just for stating that he found a job. I hope none of the negative reppers complain this summer when their CP or ops manager asks them to extend their shift or shorten their days off because there is not enough staff to keep a good rotation.

• Like 3

With pretty much every company out there looking for pilots I don't understand why poor Tezza in the employment section got so many negative reps just for stating that he found a job. I hope none of the negative reppers complain this summer when their CP or ops manager asks them to extend their shift or shorten their days off because there is not enough staff to keep a good rotation.

You don't understand, really? I am guessing that most of the negative reps come from people who are trying to get a start in the industry and can't find a seat. Operators say "we just don't do the kind of work that can be done by a 100 hour pilot" OR you have those operators that can't keep a Canadian (as in citizen) pilot because quite frankly they treat them like garbage. To prove to the government that they can't find a Canadian pilot they post ads in obscure publications for a certain amount of time to satisfy the requirements so that they can then say they can't find someone. Most of us know who these companies are, they do the same thing over and over and over and have the whole "hire the foreign pilot" down to an art. To bad some are so rotten and cheap that no Canadian wants to work for them or that they don't want to put any training and mentoring into a 100 hour pilot who will then become a 1000 hour pilot.

I say if you can't show that you are putting some hours (let's say 200 a year at least) on a 100 hour guy or gal by LOOKING for AND FINDING work for them and HAVING A MACHINE that they can fly, NO FOREIGN PILOT FOR YOU !!! You want to hire two foreign pilots, fill you boots but you will put two 100 hour guys to work FLYING those minimums i mentioned! And if you come up short you can just let them fly around for no reason on your dime or pay them out in cash so that they can fly the time with someone else, hire as many 3000 hour pilots from where ever you want. How about that for a new rule? If you want to hire someone from outside the country you can, you just have to put a low hour Canadian pilot to work FLYING as well,not just rolling drums and sweeping. Like i have said before, i have NO PROBLEM with PILOTS, they are just people trying to make their way in the world, it's the companies and our Government that are the problem.

• Like 8

Whitestone, I'll have to disagree with your statement on the government side. Having had a direct and ongoing involvement with HRDC and Immigration Canada, I can assure you that our government takes this issue as it pertains to our little industry very seriously.

Temporary foreign worker program facing changes

CBC News Posted: Mar 30, 2012 3:46 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 30, 2012 3:12 PM ET

(Jacques Boissinot/Canadian Press)

Changes hinted at in Thursday's federal budget will require employers who bring in temporary workers to ensure that they've more thoroughly scoured the local labour force before turning to workers from outside Canada.

"The government will look at ways to ensure that businesses have made all reasonable efforts to recruit from the domestic labour force before accessing the temporary foreign worker program," the budget says.

It's not more specific than that. A spokesperson in the office of Human Resources Minister Diane Finley said further details will be provided in the next few months.

The issue could affect employers who bring in thousands of foreign temporary workers to fill occupations as diverse as live-in caregivers and seasonal agricultural workers, as well as some workers in the construction and resource industries.

The temporary foreign worker program lets Canadian employers hire foreign workers on a temporary basis to fill immediate skills and labour shortages "when Canadians and permanent residents are not available," according to the program's guidelines.

Employers who want to bring in foreign workers must satisfy a number of conditions.