Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

"you Have Poured Whiskey Into A Cowboy Boot And Then Dipped The Boot In A Glacier Fed Stream For Mix (Optional)"

Seeker

ya, that add is a real doozy, I hope it is a joke.

Sent my resume. :)

To both ads, actually. Gonna go there and deliver 'em in person, too...

• Like 1

Just for your info, I am the Safety Officer for our company. Last year I flew up to a 10,000 foot mountain glacier, picked up an ice core sample from 700 feet deep from the drillers, took it home, filled a glass (my boot was too stinky) with a shot of Dalwhinnie, (I know this is girly Scotch but it still tastes good) watched the bubbles rise from this 2000 year old ice, and drank it. No big deal, no arguing, thats just what happened!

I did fill out a hazardous occurence report though, as we did run out of Scotch and my bro was still thirsty!

B.M.

• Like 3

Black Mike,

While using ice from 700 feet deep is possibly less risky than smashing a chunk off of the exposed glacier as I have done for my whisky many times, I imagine similarities do exist even though the age difference would be +/- 5000 years..... With that in mind, I do have to ask "Did your nice, blue, 700 foot deep, glacial ice also leave a beachfront worth of sand in the bottom of your cup as my surface ice does??? :blush: Haha.

To protect those like myself who are not smart enough to drink their glacial chilled whisky through a filtering device, perhaps a "Safety Officer" type person could keep the rest of us safe by mitigating the inherent risk of injesting silt, which accompanies the foolish activity of using glacial ice in our whisky, by developing the SOP (as suggested in another post)...............

Funny ad HV, well done......

Black Mike,

While using ice from 700 feet deep is possibly less risky than smashing a chunk off of the exposed glacier as I have done for my whisky many times, I imagine similarities do exist even though the age difference would be +/- 5000 years..... With that in mind, I do have to ask "Did your nice, blue, 700 foot deep, glacial ice also leave a beachfront worth of sand in the bottom of your cup as my surface ice does??? :blush: Haha.

To protect those like myself who are not smart enough to drink their glacial chilled whisky through a filtering device, perhaps a "Safety Officer" type person could keep the rest of us safe by mitigating the inherent risk of injesting silt, which accompanies the foolish activity of using glacial ice in our whisky, by developing the SOP (as suggested in another post)...............

Funny ad HV, well done......

Whisky,

Can't remember the silt, just the bubbles. We must have drank too fast! The University guys were checking volcanic ash and pollen from years ago, I guess we just got pollenated, and vulcanized. I found that when drinking glacier water or ice, make sure the out house is near by!!

B.M.

• Like 1

B.M., while you and many will consider "Dalwhinney" a girlie scotch, it is still a single malt, unlike those poseurs like Black Label, or Blue Label. so enjoy, sans ice or not.

I rememeber your hospitality and friendship from the early 90,s when a hoard of us invaded your peacefull valley for the filming of K2, I,m am still jealous of your piece of the world.

Maybe you could have chosen better intials though, but then, who knows just how whiskey affects one?

• Like 1

gwk,

The Dalwhinney is excellent, don't have much time for the blended ones, too boring, however in a pinch, they pull through!

I meant "girly Scotch" as it seems easier to convince the ladies for a drink of this, over the smokey Lagavulin and such!

I remember the K2 shoot well, spending the night on the glacier with 2 Canadian 212's and my Jetranger engine full of ice. Thankful that wardrobe fellow, flaming Keith lended me his hair dryer to thaw the engine out. (with no consequences) Had to dig a hole in the snow for the tail rotor to spin in. Won't do that again!!

All still looks the same up their, just a little easier flying with the 407! KPM, our old Jetranger, is in Langley in Alpen hangar, still looks like new last time I saw it.

B.M.

Let me put it another way. A company has an accident, where a customer is killed. The pilot survives, but is found to have alcohol

in his blood. The insurance company refuses to pay, and the pilot is charged with criminal neglegence causing death. So who do you think is going to be charged as an accessory to criminal neglegence causing death? Hint: the answer can be found by looking at Supreme Court Rulings in Canada!

I can see where you are coming from Seeker because I have seen guys use the 8 hours bottle to throttle rule in the past. It is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly. At the same time , the add is "trying" to be humorous, but is a bit off the mark. I personally think common sense should dictate how much one can drink the night before flying and be legal. I do not drink and do not think pilots should be drinking on shift but the rules are the rules. One should not encourage drinking on the job, but with some it is a culture that is hard to change without new rules. Until the rules change, use common sense and take the ice home for your drinks like Black Mike. Don't drink and fly , you might spill your drink.

• Like 1