Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mechanic Helmet Use

stevek

Years ago I bought a used helmet from a pilot buddy after I realized that most of my flying was after engine changes, new rotor blades, major maintenance, etc, statistically a period of time when a lot of sh*t can go wrong. Also, when sitting next to the pilot who's wearing a helmet, I'm thinking to myself: Why are they wearing one and why am I not?

A few hundred bucks for a used helmet from a pilot buddy. A small investment for potentially substantial savings...

• Like 2

This is a good point and there really should be some requirement from operators regarding flight crew helmets. Most companies do in fact require pilots to use helmets. And as for engineers, the maintenance departments should have some available to its staff. Just a personal opinion mind you, but even from a point of view of protecting an investment. They spend lots of money cramming endorsements knowledge in their brains, it's not a bad idea protecting the brain itself. Cheers R

At Eurocopter Canada, when we are doing "flight test" of any sort, both pilot and engineer wear PPE, consisting of fire retardent suits, and helmets. Both are supplied by the company, with the engineers helmets being several in stock, and the engineer is issued his own inner liner to go in the company "on the shelf"Gentex helmet. The engineers can supply thier own helmets, or purchase one through the company "payroll deduction" plan.

Most Heavy engineers I've met use those David Clark helmets, very simple design but comfortable for the amount of flying they do. Probably nice to have on a gravel service landing to if under a kamov or crane... some guys even had visor for them to protect their face.