Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

42 Years Old, Second Career?

Dear El Guapo,

Well done sir! Realistic if a tad cynical but had to be said especially given potential 'starryeyedness' of OP as indicated by his replies.

Well thought out and well delivered. Anyone thinking of getting into this biz should read that gem.

C

• Like 4

Guest plumber

Dear El Guapo,

Well done sir! Realistic if a tad cynical but had to be said especially given potential 'starryeyedness' of OP as indicated by his replies.

Well thought out and well delivered. Anyone thinking of getting into this biz should read that gem.

C

Agreed!

• 7 months later...

If he is still in limbo I would also agree to STAY AWAY as a career. As a hobby go for it if you have the $$$. Essential Helicopters North Bay has an awesome family of trainers Lavern is great. I worked with them at Gateway and I'm their favorite wrench :P well I think so anyways. Whatever you choose put your family first and if you do want to do it for a living do it part time "if that's possible".

As I sit here in Amsterdam waiting for my connecting flight, I noticed this thread popped up again....was wondering also if Gunny ever followed through?

Naysayers are a hoot....the ones that grumble and complain the most, are usually ones that never should have gotten into this industry in the first place....:(

I'm closing in on 40 years, and have never regretted doing this...I'm still having the time of my life, and getting paid to see and fly the world.

• Like 1

You know what they say about assuming Helog. I love my job and they guys I work with. That being said if you think getting into this industry at 42 is wise in this day and age then you need a breathalyzer in the cockpit. I wouldn't recommend getting into this industry (today) to a 20 year old with no wife and kids. And I repeat I love what I do.