Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flare Shot At Bc Helicopter.

So, why was the helicopter buzzing around someone else's property at low altitude? Checking out the competition? If you don't want to get projectiles shot at you then stay up and away from other peoples property, especially crusty old farmers. There are always 2 sides to every story.

• Like 1

What happened to MUST maintain 1,000 feet 304 meters over a built up area. I don't condone what these fools did. As Heiiian said there are 2 sides to every story. Maybe this guy flying around their property low is a common occurance and they are sick of it. I know that doesn't give them the right to shot him out of the air and possibly kill someone.

You are correct, it does not give them the right to shoot at the a/c, I don't condone that at all. Getting the reg and informing the authorities would be the right way to do it. Getting shot at sucks and I can be sure that this guy won't be buzzing around other peoples properties anytime soon. Surprisingly, this happens more often than one would think.

To me it seems that the pilot was doing it repeatedly as I highly doubt the farmers would snipe him as he was transiting just once.

Interesting, I saw the video clip on the local TV newss, and there are a few interesting things that the article did not include.

First off, firing a projectile at any aircraft is wrong, there are better ways to go about complaining about low flying aircraft.

This A/C owner is a retired airline pilot, so he should know that low flying, even over farms will eventually get people upset, so he should know better. In the video he claimed to fly low over his turf farm regularily with passengers, while doing "complimentary scenic flights", or at least that is what I was left thinking.

This is the also helicopter that was used last winter for the filming of the hockey rink being made in the local mtns, that caused quite a stir, and once again the helicopter is in the "news" Personally, I would have thought they caught enough flack over that fiasco and would have preferred to lay low instead of stepping into the limelight again.

I also have to wonder about his helipad, obviously he has an acreage, but just over his fence line is a normal neighbor hood backing on to his property line, with only a back yard between their houses and his helipad. I wonder how often and how loud they complain about the noise and possible danger, or does he just turn a entitled deaf ear to their complaints.

Regardless, makes for an interesting story on a slow news day!

• Like 1