Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Mac And Garmin 296 Not Compatible; Ipad Options

dimit

I agree that Foreflight is certainly not cheap and if your just flying in Canda, hard to justify the cost.

An example though of its capability, we were ferrying a crane from Van Nuys to Central Point in the dead of winter a couple of years back. I had the co-pilot flying the left seat at the time we ran into a horrendous storm, we diverted to Modesto...before we had landed, I had all our rooms booked and paid for, and a shuttle waiting for us as we touched down.

My how the cockpit has changed....:)

I have a hard time with foreflight trying to put in waypoints is there an easy way? Otherwise I like it.

Yes...

http://www.foreflight.com/support/user-waypoints

You can only upload 1 waypoint list and it can only be called "user_waypoints" (Don't type the file extension in the name)

Export your gpx file to a csv file in Garmin Base camp or Mapsource then rename the exported file to user_waypoints.

Don't include track logs with the gpx file. It will show up as a bunch of waypoints along the track too far apart to be of any use.

I agree that Foreflight is certainly not cheap and if your just flying in Canda, hard to justify the cost.

An example though of its capability, we were ferrying a crane from Van Nuys to Central Point in the dead of winter a couple of years back. I had the co-pilot flying the left seat at the time we ran into a horrendous storm, we diverted to Modesto...before we had landed, I had all our rooms booked and paid for, and a shuttle waiting for us as we touched down.

My how the cockpit has changed.... :)

But thats partly because of the GA support in the lower 48. I am sure even if you just landed the guy in the tower/FBO would have made sure things were sorted for you to stay/refuel etc. Its funny here north of 60 to see all the traffic heading up to Alaska in the spring. No CFS, No charts. Just an Ipad and the applicable software and wx info that works withing 10 miles of a cell tower.

Last year 7 Cessnas landed at Burwash due weather without any calls on either 26.7 or 22.1 Cars guy wrote them all up and it seems their Ipad software was missing the coms for the whole of Yukon.

I guess you can default to "say nothing" when that occurs. Either way I dont fly along the highway in summer above 1000 agl.

It is interesting to read all the Foreflight and other tablet feedback here but I too am curious if anyone knows a way to allow my Macbook Air to recognize my Garmin 495. Is there a conversion kit or workaround to change the USB 3.0 into a 2.0 so it can "communicate" with and recognize the garmin?

Thanks all for the discussion, very informative!

Fire Eyes: I've tried using a variety of USB 2.0 hubs and that didn't work. I tried it from the Windows (Parallels) virtual machine on my Mac and that didn't work. A friend of mine suggested using a wireless USB 2 hub but I can't find one that's run on my Mac or Windows Parallels. I've tried every setting, port, software etc that I can think of. Frick!!! I too am searching for a solution...