Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ipad Foreflight Info

putz

So about to purchase an ipad mini with the thoughts of using it with foreflight in the future.

I am not computer smart so was wondering which ipad people are using,

ipad with wifi or the wifi and 3g model???

anything else to consider, straight VFR driver, that IFR stuff scares me............hehe

Buy a an iPad mini with cellular/3G.

I assume if you are VFR then you are flying lights/intermediates/mediums so not a ton of room to mount a full size tablet on the window.

You do not have to get a monthly cellular plan on it, but you need to buy it because the GPS antenna is integrated with the cellular antenna/chip.

I've been using an ipad with foreflight for a year now. I originally planned on buying an external gps receiver, but after a year of use without losing receptions flying in the mountains in all types of weather conditions I have decided not to bother. 5m accuracy is good enough for me.

I am kind of interested in those ADS-B receivers but I haven't really looked into them yet.

I would go with the mini. I use the full size iPad and it is a little tight in most helicopters. Skip the 3g unit and the GPS receiver. Go with the ADS-B receiver. After ypou have used it a bit, you will ask yourself how you operated so long without it. NexRad radar, sattellite weather, winds aloft, airport weather and current TFR's are just a few of the things available. If you insist on just a GPS antenna, I would suggest you look at the one sold by Dual Electronics. One thing I like about, is that they have an App that shows how well the antenna is receiving the satellites and the battery stregth.

Don't you just love pilots' egos?

- "Buy an iPad mini with ....."

- "Don't go with the pad option ....."

- "Get the ipad, not the mini ...."

As compared to:

"I've been using an ipad with foreflight for a year .... planned on buying an external gps .... after a year of use without losing receptions .... decided not to bother.'

Or:

"I would go with the mini. I use the full size iPad and it is a little tight in most helicopters."

• Like 1