Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A Well Deserved Upgrade!

gwk

For the price of a new 412epi you think they would go for an Aw139. Better power margin and payload. With basic offshore configuration and 2 pilots your looking at around 3100lbs payload. So I assume coast guard machines will be heavier and will have hoist plus some other extras then put 2 crew in the back and with full fuel you be lifting at probably close to gross weight. It's a decent machine but old technology.

I think the 412 is a great aircraft for what the coast guard needs. I would think the 412 is better suited then the 139 for the coast guard, because they do land in unprepared sites, and I would think skids are better for that. I am pretty sure the Canadian coast guard does not winch people so I am not sure they will even have a hoist on the aircraft. From a tax payer stand point it is Canadian made and supported, plus they should have most of the required tooling, ground handling support, and some spares from the 212.