Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

50 Years In Aviation

Guest CHEVY II

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

canuck ------if he ain't, then he came **** close. There's a very large group of ex-RCN engineers and pilots who all left the RCN at the same time. They were all very good, all "characters" and all very respected over the years. If memory serves me correctly, I was told a couple of years ago that Joe had "hung up his guns" and the old body was starting to let him down a bit, but he was still the same old Joe with that million dollar smile. Just another one of the engineers who I'd give my right arm to work and "hang-out with" again. :D

Hey there cap...would John and Jerry Flecher have been one of those guys that left the RCN at that time?...worked with them both and who doesn't know Joe.... :D....would imaging the Kipper had that amount of time in before he left us for the hanger in the sky... :)

DGP --------"Stretch" was ex-RCN......John wasn't---strictly "civvy street". "Kipper" was ex-British Merchant Marine.

Not all, but the vast majority of the "crew" I'm referring to date back to the S-55's onboard the "Maggie" (HMCS Magnificient) I could rattle off a whole bunch here, but the list is very, very long and doesn't include just those from the "Maggie" either. That era in the RCN produced much of the foundation of the industry and they were all "pretty sharp knives" and I hope someday, if there's ever a Canadian Helicopter Museum, that that fact is duly noted. That era also produced the likes of Blackmac and he can also fill in a lot of blanks here because he and I know/knew many of the same people.