Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

50 Years In Aviation

Guest CHEVY II

yah....the r word....was just getting a bucket checkout on the 58 when the rains came and it was back to Calgary :down:We were staying downtown next to the stinking mill...hotter than he$$ with no a/c...had to keep all the windows closed to keep the smell out of your room...but the beer and gin was ice cold :up:  :up:

Was fun while it lasted! There was another guy there from Calgary with a brown Alouette ?? Tucker ?? that was asked to leave........... Slate Falls wrote off their brand new C185 'SFA. Memories!!! Ahh..... to be young again! :P:P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be some old viking guys on this site that were on that fire...seem to remember about a half dozen 500C's from viking being there....still painted yellow and black at that time....they sure were popular back then.... :)

There must be some old viking guys on this site that were on that fire...seem to remember about a half dozen 500C's from viking being there....still painted yellow and black at that time....they sure were popular back then.... :)

Wonder what happened to the Levacks' that all used to work for Viking?? Last I heard, Dad was on a Viking contract with WHO in Africa somewhere and Richard was kicking around Canada someplace...........

R...

Ya, just ain't the same anymore........we worked our tails off!! I heard a rumor that the fire boss let # 18 get away and did himself in. Did you guys here the same? Or was it all rumor? What was the final acreage.........was that ever release?

FUELS RISK ASSESSMENT OF BLOWDOWN

"Observed fire behavior on the Dryden #18 fire in Canada in similar fuels, and moderate weather conditions, is described as slow, but steady, with spread rates on the afternoon of July 1 and 5, 1974 at 37 chains per hour (12.4 m/min)".

http://www.superiornationalforest.org/july...Execsum1199.stm

Ya, just ain't the same anymore........we worked our tails off!!  I heard a rumor that the fire boss let # 18 get away and did himself in.  Did you guys here the same?  Or was it all rumor?  What was the final acreage.........was that ever release?

FUELS RISK ASSESSMENT OF BLOWDOWN

"Observed fire behavior on the Dryden #18 fire in Canada in similar fuels, and moderate weather conditions, is described as slow, but steady, with spread rates on the afternoon of July 1 and 5, 1974 at 37 chains per hour (12.4 m/min)".

http://www.superiornationalforest.org/july...Execsum1199.stm

I've got some slides somewhere that show some "action" shots as well as a lot of the ships at base camp......... Course, if I go digging out all those old slides (again) the missus will be more than a bit upset, so........... :hide: :hide: Hmmm, if I remember right, that's the first place I tried Molson's Golden! Life was never the same..... But, you're right, they were long days from 06:early until 2?:late, every day, but..............

R...

Cambox....if you were there with an SAII...were you working for Lambair....I lived and worked in Manitoba for 20 odd years...was it one that ended up at Custom....we may have met somewhere out there :DB) I was out at Vermillion Bay with the 58 with the Kenting crew :up:

Cambox....if you were there with an SAII...were you working for Lambair....I lived and worked in Manitoba for 20 odd years...was it one  that ended up at Custom....we may have met somewhere out there :D  B) I was out at Vermillion Bay with the 58 with the Kenting crew :up:

Right you are......... Was with Lambair on Dryden 18 and then in '76, myself and 2 others, Tommy Lamb and Dave Hodgins, were the start of Custom when they bought Lamb's heli operation. Tommy got killed with Jerry Morlan in a 206 just outside of YTH, Dave went home to Goderich, On to work in his Dad's hardware store and I went way east, then way west and now to........

To be continued :D:D:D

I trained at canadore...knew Jerry Morland....in fact...when I moved to wpg in 79 I rented an apartment at Quail Ridge...when they asked what I did for a living...told them I was a Helicopter pilot...they said that was strange...the last guy to rent my apartment was a helicopter pilot...his name was Jerry Morland...thats when I found out he had been killed up near thompson...strange sh$t.... :shock: :down:

Cambox...we may have met...about 10 years ago...if you are the guy that knows the following fellows...big Al in yth...and I trained with Jerry Carrier and Richard Parron...you may know those twoguys as well...if so we had talked when I stopped to see Jerry.... B) :up: ....PS...saw both of them at the Canadore reunion :P