Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sat Phones

Blackmac ------ agreed totally and I wasn't "dumping" on any of the items mentioned......love them all, got all of the them except an impending Sat phone purchase. What I have a problem with is the way that the GPS is used. I treat it as just another Nav aide that I have.......but NOT my only Nav Aide. I wouldn't do that any more than an IFR pilot would rely ONLY on a GPS. Even if he did rely totally on a GPS, he would have TWO. Again, I do not like "putting ALL my eggs in one basket" and relying totally on an instrument make by the company who submitted the lowest bid.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackmac ------ agreed totally and I wasn't "dumping" on any of the items mentioned......love them all, got all of the them except an impending Sat phone purchase. What I have a problem with is the way that the GPS is used. I treat it as just another Nav aide that I have.......but NOT my only Nav Aide. I wouldn't do that any more than an IFR pilot would rely ONLY on a GPS. Even if he did rely totally on a GPS, he would have TWO. Again, I do not like "putting ALL my eggs in one basket" and relying totally on an instrument make by the company who submitted the lowest bid.

Let's not forget that even if you had 50 GPS receivers onboard, when the SatNet goes down (pretty rare these days, but still happens), or when you get into one of those blind spots (like in the middle of Quebec). The only thing you've got is your map, compass and Mark I eyeball to tide you over... :D

Skidz ----you just keep that attitude and then I won't maybe be the one delegated to come looking for your butt someday......and keep that map close by and not back in some stupid hat-rack either where you can't get at it readily. I find this subject totally inane because before GPS I didn't even rely on my blessed ADF totally either. It must be a new way of thinking I guess, but man-o-man, there's a lot of folks who rely totally on the GPS......until they loose 3 or more sats between 1PM - 3Pm in the middle of nowhere and bad wx and then what?. Drifted off-subject guys.....my apologies. :D

CAP says

"there's a lot of folks who rely totally on the GPS......until they loose 3 or more sats between 1PM - 3Pm in the middle of nowhere and bad wx and then what?."

you sit down somehere, pull out the trusty SAT phone, and tell whoever not to hold supper for you :D:D

that is why we are discussing SAT phones B)

i'm new at posting in these forums, but am going to try and stretch my comfort zone with posting my commentary, so don't pounce on me too heavily :( i don't beleive for a minute i'm telling anything new here

IMHO there is a difference flying routes you have been down many times and embarking on a trip into unfamiliar territory.

i assume VFR here.

if it is a new route and you do not do any kind of trip planning in the way of starring at a map for airports, nav aids, possible routes and alternates, terrain landmarks, low ground, and do not draw some kind of line and time marks on a map IMHO you should not be flying in the first place.

some parts of our glorious country have features that are soooooo generic that you have a hard time finding where you are on a map, and GPS becomes the primary, and the map is the secondary "ya, that looks right". loose the GPS and you are back to time and bearing and looking for that distinguishing landmark, (the OLD days) loose the weather and your on the ground. mucking around will get you lost anyways, even if you know where you were and the SAT phone call will be the same

i guess what i'm trying to say is that maps are not the end-all either, you gotta know when to call it quits, and if you are mucking about and relying on the gps because the weather is so lousy that you can't follow a map, again, unfamiliar territory, then you are tempting murphy and an entry into the darwin book, hopefully you don't have any pax onboard.

preaching to the converted, i know, its just that pre-flight is as important as the flight itself ----- now if thats not off topic, what is ?? :rolleyes:

Re: Sat Phones etc...

We've gone with a more simple and cost effective system, and with my Native Heritage, it seems to work out OK. Now all I need is a friggg'en Dispatcher or Engineer who can read my signals.... :D

smoke_signals.gif

Oh ..and NG Limited, I tink ya bilt yur hanger on MY LAND eh ! I'm fill'in a land claim, eh?