Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

More Helicopter Drug Smuggling!

N1

I saw that on the news the other night. A lot of time and materials went into that! :blink: Wonder how they went unnoticed as long as they did?

They didn't.

The cops let 'em build it, waited until it was finished and for the first illicit x-border transfer to happen and then swooped in to make the arrests on both sides of the border.

During those 8 months, the idiots building it were too busy digging to do any trafficking. By waiting for them to actually make a move, the cops can add more charges that will keep them out of circulation longer.

All of this may have more of a dissuasive effect on anyone else contemplating anything similar. Criminals are lazy. They want quick payback on their effort and risk...

I saw that on the news the other night. A lot of time and materials went into that! :blink: Wonder how they went unnoticed as long as they did?

Easy! it was RIGHT BESIDE a border crossing station. :lol: Lots of chest beating press briefings by the all the law enforcement agencies involved but apparently the initial tip-off came from an informant, then they started noticing LOTS of lumber going into the quonset, lots of dirt coming out. :huh: Good on 'em though to let the smugglers keep working that long then wait 'till they were on U.S. soil to arrest them! :up: Might actually still be a crime and involve REAL jail time in the U.S. :o

Lots of chest beating press briefings by the all the law enforcement agencies involved but apparently the initial tip-off came from an informant, then they started noticing LOTS of lumber going into the quonset, lots of dirt coming out

Where did you hear that?

I cannot believe that you are aware of the levels of surveillance that run along the border and adjacent areas. It was certainly a ballsey plan to do this right next to the crossing, but for anyone to believe that ANY activity going on next to the border isn't being watched, they obviously don't spend much time around the border. In addition to the multiple sensors and physical prescence on the ground, the entire area is subject to aerial surveilance by helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

I do think it was great to let them finish it before bagging them though! :up:

Where did you hear that?

A number of accounts... here's one...

from B.C. trio had tunnel vision, but police saw through it <--- link to story

"The joint U.S. and Canadian investigation began in October, 2003, when an informant told a Canadian Border Services Agency investigator that something was being built underground.

'Investigators monitored activity on both sides of the border and confirmed that plans were under way to create such a tunnel,' said Inspector Pat Fogarty, leader of the Canadian investigation."

I cannot believe that you are aware of the levels of surveillance that run along the border and adjacent areas.

I'm very aware! ;)B)