Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Far West 206 Crash At Stave Lake

vortex

Anyone know anymore about the pilot, was he a low timer? or high timer?

Hope everyones ok!

:( Sounds as though the woman on board is now listed as critical....not good. As for getting an experienced pilot working a 206 that is out the door at $650/hr, what would you think....... :down:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand something here. Is it being stated that the pilot attempted to VERTICAL DOWN onto the lake surface using a bouey for reference? (Read no inferences into that question at all.....it's a question ONLY)

That's terrible news about the female passenger. I wish her the best.

What do you guys think of Underwater Escape Training for pilots??

What do you guys think of Underwater Escape Training for passengers??

I never had the course before getting into the IFR game and it makes me wonder what kind of a difference it would have made had I gone into the H2O. Seems to me that for a very few dollars you can greatly increase your chances of surviving.

ttf

P.S. Great picture BAH. Thanks.

treetopflyer and others - I split off some of the topic to the Employment & Training forum since it started the topic was shifting to under water escaping and also landing on water.

Please continue posts directly related to this topic here.

Thanks.

I heard today as we were pulling the wreck out that the woman may not make it. Pilot and other pax will be Ok. The speculation on site was glassy water.

I don't know why the pilot didn't land close to shore and taxi out instead? Wouldn't that have been the proper technique for those conditions? I only have about 140 hrs of fixed float time and would have been very very reluctant to have landed in the middle of a lake with glassy water conditions. Plus when taxing on water you have to be more than cautious and take things very slowly indeed. I wonder what was this guys experience level; was he in over his head, did he get proper training if any? I know that when I went flying on those float jobs I didn't get any recurrent training on fixed floats. All I had was my initial when I did my licence 0.5 hrs. Back in 2001 CHC Penticton gave me an hour of training and that was the first time that I did full on auots to water, plus a start and shut down. It was good training indeed and will not be forgotten.

T.T.2....you raise some very good points. This accident is looking like an inexperienced, and more importantly, an undertrained pilot was at the controls. The fault here lies within the company from the "top end" down. It is known that this machine was under contract at a mere $650/hr. When an aircraft of that monetary investment and operating cost goes out at that rate, what is being sacrificed? Maintenence? Wages? Training? Or a combination of all? The company website boasts of "safety", but from what all of us have witnessed out here, it is surely lacking.....and if it sounds as though i am hacking hard on this particular company, i do not feel the slightest bit guilty, as the woman that is in critical condition may not make it.... :(

herein again, H56, is the underlying factor in PDM.. am i qualified to make this flight, to operate in the enviroment to which i'm being sent, do i have the necessary skills to allow me to do what i need to do, or am i just hoping it all works out...

for now, we lack knowing whether or not the driver had any instruction on water ops or anything else to answer the above questions... only he and his boss/cp really know...

i have no doubt that the driver is asking himself those very things now.. as sad as it is for the woman, it's just as sad for the guy behind the cyclic who now is likely wondering HTF did this happen...

due diligence will be looked at closely, i'm sure...

my thoughts go out to both him and the injured pax.. :(

Folks, Let's not have a public lynching here until the facts come out... :mellow:

Sorry Skidz, can't agree with you here......They are doing it to themselves, how about a less than 600 hr pilot flying at night in the mountains (not night rated), and then boasting that it "was no big deal" when it was brought up to him? This is a fact, one of their pilots went and did a medivac on the Coquihalla after an mva after one company turned it down due to risk with night time operations and not being certified to do so in their company O.M. But what did these guy's do....break every rule in the book, and then show a cavalier attitude towards it. I'll bet he had "lot's" of company training for that! Maybe a lynching should be done, it get's tiring to see so many companies make every effort with time and money to do it right.....and then there are those that just thumb their nose(s) to the rules, thinking that "it is no big deal"...... :down: