Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aerobatics

You can pretty much bet your sweet a$$ that the turkey who does the hammerheads, hairy-assed flares and 90-degree bank cranks is the one who uses ''transients'' as a matter of course, despite their intentional use being prohibited.

The sooner we smarten up in this industry, and ''rat'' on those guys every time they pull one of their hairbrained stunts, then refuse to fly the machine we witnessed them abuse, the sooner we''ll be rid of them and all fly with more confidence in our equipment, more sure of getting home each night.

"There''s old pilots and there''s bold pilots but ..."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys boys boys, there is nothing wrong with doing aerobatic maneouvres when done properly and in the right time and place. There is NO place for it with an employers machine unless they are paying you as an aerobatic airshow display guy.

We've seen factory demo pilots do amazing things with helos, especially MBB BO105 and MD500 series helos.

Have a look at a real aerobatic bunch, the really do loop, roll and pull their Lynx up over on their backs into a dive from a high hover. Pretty neat stuff.

Remember the three cardinal rules:

1. ALWAYS keep the head loaded!

2. Always lead your maneouvre with collective.

3. Never unload past zero g.

Common sense must remain though, don't do this with your bosses Jet Ranger!!!

Enjoy...........

www.deltaweb.co.uk/eagles/bluehome.htm (Page 3 of their gallery, bottom photo, a personal favourite, plus I met the lad who flies it, impressive)

Unfortunately you''re right CAP.

The pilot of a recent fatal crash (only the pilot was onboard) was reported to his chief pilot by a senior pilot from another company about a year before his death, regarding his flying (similar flying that eventually caught up to him - cowboy & pushing wx). He was a production pilot and his chief pilot accepted his manner of flying as beneficial for the company in spite of the likely outcome!

I would still report, it may save someone else''s life..

All comments duly noted and I disagree with only one theme.....that if those offending pilots are reported they will always be dismissed....WRONG! If the client wants that particular pilot and the contract involves many ''ducats'', he MIGHT be fired......don''t bet your RRSP on it though, gents. There''s STILL a whole lot of ''creative thinking'' out there when the valuable client wants a certain pilot and the the contract is extremely desirable to keep. They''ll always be there guys, so learn to live with it. Why do you think we have some of the rules in place that we do now?

All comments duly noted and I disagree with only one theme.....that if those offending pilots are reported they will always be dismissed....WRONG! If the client wants that particular pilot and the contract involves many ''ducats'', he MIGHT be fired......don''t bet your RRSP on it though, gents. There''s STILL a whole lot of ''creative thinking'' out there when the valuable client wants a certain pilot and the the contract is extremely desirable to keep. They''ll always be there guys, so learn to live with it. Why do you think we have some of the rules in place that we do now?

I''m not saying that I fly like you all talk but it sure sounds like a case of masturbation around here. By that I mean ... all of us have done it but will never admit to it. Its lovely to read all the preaching that is going on to the converted.

As was said. It should be of little influence on the aircraft if done without G loading or Negative G.

Not much call for it usually thou....

Well, Chairman, I have in fact did it and did it a lot. Do it practically everyday for 26 months to save your 'butt' and you quickly find the joy of it 'ebbing from your body'. I now enjoy flights that are so boring that even the engineer falls alseep. A helicopter will do many things that an F-18 or a Citabria cannot do......but aerobatics ain't one of them. Newton's Third Law of Motion sets those limits.....not any of us pilots. Oh and I forgot something.....that engineer standing over there with that 13" crescent wrench ain't 'a happy camper' about it either.

My first point was based on experience. My second point was based on the Laws of Physics. My last point was based on fear. All of these points cause things to 'skrink' and it becomes very difficult to put a marshmellow in a piggy-bank. 9.gif

Yeah, you nailed it, cap. We did plenty of it in ''green'' (and I''m not sad mine wasn''t dodging the hot stuff), and we learned enough respect for everything and everyone to play it a tad cooler turnin'' rotors for dollars.

For both you and ####, though, it''s long past due when tools abusing commercial equipment paid an appropriate price. There ARE companies out there that maintain the kind of standards we''re talking about. 407 speaks of one and I''m pretty pleased where I am. Don''t make excuses for the lax and negligent. Nail their loser *****!