Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Too Old

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canook,

One way to think about this is as an investment problem. Invest $XX thousand into yer career, how long will you need to work and how much will you need to make to get a decent return on that investment? And don't limit the calculation to hard $$: If yer lookin' fer a change 'cuz ya NEED one, or lookin' fer better shift, or whatever, well guestimate how much $$ that's worth to ya.

If the finances make sense, go for it! If they don't make sense, but yer still keen, go for it!!

On the matter of age: I finished my ab initio training in 2001. This year, a week before flying my 2500th hour I turned 49. Yer only too old if you think you are!!!

Take it easy, but take it.

DM

I made the swap at 30 and it was the best thing I ever did. About 4 years later I took some time off from the IFR world to help out on fires, did that 2 summers in a row, and refused the 3rd. I forgot how much work it was!

I went into IFR with 12 years in the bush and well over 3000 hours under my belt (started at 18 and had 1000 hours before I hit 20). It was a definite hit on the pockebook the first few years, but with my hours I was in a Captain seat within a year.

There are a ton of IFR guys with VFR backgrounds that know exactly where you are coming from and will treat you with the respect you deserve, but of course, as in anything, there'll be *****, so for me, it was a matter of just swallowing my pride, bowing my head and yielding to their supreme knowledge, or at least, let them think that was what I was doing, knowing I'd be home everynight with the family. But it doesn't matter if you are a fresh IFR guy, a high time VFR guy, or a high time VFR/IFR guy, there will always be "those" guys, goes hand in hand with a two crew cockpit. I can say that things are getting much better in that regard and most of the dinosaurs are history or have been reformed. There are some very experienced IFR guys out there and their input and advice can be invaluable.

As far as pay goes, I'd try to get onto a high flying IFR job like Helijet, take the hit for two to three years, then start looking for the money. Some of the EMS jobs in Ontario fly a fair bit, some hardly at all, but you'll get very little actual time.

I'm home everynight, have a steady schedule that I know months in advance, and make far more money than I ever made in the bush, and fly in challenging enough weather to keep it interesting and fun. I'd be quite happy to sit and do exactly what I'm doing till retirement (41 now).

Canook

Well, No! But be prepared to be treated like you are in highschool. Thought the VFR guys where bad with groupiness helijet is like highschool, lots of recess head games, and the senior guys who couldn't LL if thier life depended on it will give you NO credit for 20+ years of experienience and state that its a whole different world. Which is partially true but factually its still flying a helicopter. Can't say much about CHC but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Personally IMHO its better to stay where one is and maintain the level of respect and salary one has earned.

Plus unless you are going to work for CHC or Cougar the money is CRAP! :down:

Cheers

John

y

John I have noticed you like to take a shot at Helijet every now and then. Just because you didn't quite make the grade don't try to blame it on everyone else. If you took the time to listen, learn, and do as you were told maybe you could have earned a little respect at Helijet. Whilst I do believe time in the industry is an asset when converting to the IFR world, LL skills are irrelevent when simple tasks like answering radio calls, maintaining level flight in cloud, or operating the loran can't be completed correctly and professionally.

y

John I have noticed you like to take a shot at Helijet every now and then. Just because you didn't quite make the grade don't try to blame it on everyone else. If you took the time to listen, learn, and do as you were told maybe you could have earned a little respect at Helijet. Whilst I do believe time in the industry is an asset when converting to the IFR world, LL skills are irrelevent when simple tasks like answering radio calls, maintaining level flight in cloud, or operating the loran can't be completed correctly and professionally.

Not to start a fight or anything, Reccos, but you seem to be on a personal level with Mr JWRalph, and have the audacity to come on here and post with open book, one-sided slander and unfair play.

How does one, with their FIRST POST as Reccos attack with the familiarity of a long time user and poster? I think you're full of s%#t, to have more than one ID to take a shot from the shadows and if you DO work at HJ, though I have never heard anything but good things about them from friends of mine that work there, this must be the bull$#it recess crap I just read about.

There's no real sense remarking on your post as it's probably temporary.

By the way, Dimmit, congratulations on your success! And yeah, you're never too old!

Merry Christmas