Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Removing Structural Menbers In Flight (almost)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BHT-206-SRM-1

1-3. TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION.

a. FORWARD SECTION (CABIN): The forward section extends from the nose to the rear of the passenger

compartment. It's basic structure consists of two honeycomb panels joined to form the bottom of the

cabin or floor, while a sheetmetal roof beam assembly joined to the center of another honeycomb panel

above form the roof. The forward floor and roof honeycomb panels consist of aluminum core material and

aluminum faces or skins. The aft floor assembly consists of aluminum honeycomb core material with

fiberglass skins. The box beam structure supports the transmission and forward section of the engine.

Two bulkhead assemblies and a center post connect the floors and roof to form and integrated stucture.

The bases of the forward and aft bulkheads support the landing gear.

h. CREW SEAT BULKHEAD (item 10). This bulkhead is situated directly aft of the crew seat structure

and serves as the seat back. It is one of two bulkheads that join the roof to the floor and provides

attachment for the forward crosstube supports, crew lap and shoulder seat belt attachment points and

crew seat structure. It is constructed of aluminum frames and webs.

Before we run out of space on this thread, has anybody called the manfacturer????????????????

When I was flying or working as a DOM, I usually used the manufacturer as a source for info on the product they produce:

The following sources Can be used for info on:

Bell Products: Vicki Hinchcliff-Stuart

Customer Relations Manager

450 437 2763

514 895 9174 Cell

Eurocopter: Tony Brown

VP Sales & Customer Relations

905 994 2905 / 1 800 267 4999

416 930 9447 Cell

Tell them that Don McDougal said to call and they will be sure to hang up.

Cheers, Don

TS: You are right, I went back and checked the first page and Bell were flabbergasted???

Ask the Bell tech rep when they are going to amend the Flight Manual and then have HAC send out a memo to all Bell 206 A/B operators advising them of the proper procedures.

Safety items should come from the Manufacturer, not the industry when it pertains to critical, manufacturer imposed requirements.

Should an accident occur and that post was not in place, even though it was not the cause of the accident, the helicopter was not in fact airworthy and the insurance is invalid for the aircraft and everybody on board.

Don

PS: I phoned Vicki at Bell and she will get back to me with an answer.

I for one wonder just how bad the airframe would twist? The post is a structural member and you shouldn't even move the a/c in the hangar with it removed. But if people are doing it it must be ok. I was told by the pad builder at camp the other day its ok to go for a ride on the longline too. So now I do it all the time sure is windy.... but what a view.

Yeah all the amo's with airframe jig's love when you operate the a/c outside its parameters nothing money and materials won't fix.

Fact is its a bad idea and if you get away with it without damaging the a/c or yourself then your as lucky as you are stupid.

I for one wonder just how bad the airframe would twist? The post is a structural member and you shouldn't even move the a/c in the hangar with it removed. But if people are doing it it must be ok. I was told by the pad builder at camp the other day its ok to go for a ride on the longline too. So now I do it all the time sure is windy.... but what a view.

Yeah all the amo's with airframe jig's love when you operate the a/c outside its parameters nothing money and materials won't fix.

Fact is its a bad idea and if you get away with it without damaging the a/c or yourself then your as lucky as you are stupid.

To Offset. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I asked for Bell's response in writing rather than verbally and they provided a letter yesterday that said:

Dear Sir,

The flight manual supplement applicable to the 206A/B/B3 litter kit does not restrict the removal of the door post (with the left aft passenger door) with rotor turning, to load or unload patient. In general, it is left to the operator to determine under which conditions it is preferable to load/unload patient, to ensure security of the medical crew and occupants.

Sincerely,

Product Support Engineering

We're now requesting more info from Bell... Like whether the machine has to be in flat pitch or not... The confusion here is definitely partly their fault...

Apparently these " stupid" people could use some of the expert help available on this forum, obviously the Bell engineers don't know anything at all about there own aircraft. Perhaps before they come up with an answer, could the people in the know forward their structures analysis report to them and help them out.

Am I the only one that seems to believe that if the aircraft was designed to take hard turns, heavy loads, and general abuse for tens of thousands of hours in the air, removing one of the many structural members while not doing anything near the stress of an average flight (let alone in turbulence or during some crazy manuvers) will not cause the thing to break in half?

Not much 206 experience here, just an outside perspective.

Mike

Am I the only one that seems to believe that if the aircraft was designed to take hard turns, heavy loads, and general abuse for tens of thousands of hours in the air, removing one of the many structural members while not doing anything near the stress of an average flight (let alone in turbulence or during some crazy manuvers) will not cause the thing to break in half?

Not much 206 experience here, just an outside perspective.

Mike

I'm with you Mike. I think it should be avoided whenever possible but the 206 is built well enough to withstand the post being removed while running. It's nice to see that we have people on here that are smarter and more familiar with Bell products than their own structural engineers. :down: :down: :down: