This Just In!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick intro...Zero hour newbie looking at pursuing my Commercial...I'm 26..living in calgary....working at a good job but wanting more out of my carreer....willing to relocate anywhere to take schooling/find employment later on.

Obviously looking around home (calgary) but couldnt help checking things out south of the border...looks as thought hourly rates are much cheaper down there (around 40-70%) but again you are most likely getting inferior quality instruction (due to the usual progression for 150hr newly certified pilots in the US) I was doing the math and it looks as tho I could get 200 hours in R22/R44's my instrument, CFI and CFII for about what 110 hours would cost me to do it here. Now my question is would an employer here in Canada be more inclined to hire a 200 hour pilot who aquired an FAA rating then moved here or a 110 hours pilot who received training on home ground? Also would there be any reason not to take your schooling south or the border? or in Hawaii for that matter??

Sorry for the long post.... :rolleyes:

no offence to anyone but, i'm working in the mineing section in the states right now, and the american pilots really lack alot of skills, most are 2000-3000hr pilots with no bush experience. meet one guy with 2000hr, and has never, had a lone line on, done a toe in, oh and your going to love this, landed in a confined!!

all trafic watch, airport to airport. the US guys are good at, Punching loads off, getting the machine into LTE, and spreading #### all over the hill side.

what i think i'm trying to say is Canada is where it's at

no offence to anyone but, i'm working in the mineing section in the states right now, and the american pilots really lack alot of skills, most are 2000-3000hr pilots with no bush experience. meet one guy with 2000hr, and has never, had a lone line on, done a toe in, oh and your going to love this, landed in a confined!!

all trafic watch, airport to airport. the US guys are good at, Punching loads off, getting the machine into LTE, and spreading #### all over the hill side.

what i think i'm trying to say is Canada is where it's at

Well, I also work both sides of the border for no less than 20 years. Not all pilots fall into your assesment pup. I fly these days, in a two pilot cockpit (crane), every pilot I work with is as professional, competent, and safe as any other pilot(s), on a global basis.

H56

ya, a 150 hour pilot trained by a 300 hour pilot............. :down:

Maybe I am posting a answer to this because I did it myself..

But maybe you should climb out of your 412 and into the RH22 and teach them than??

:lol:

I see problems with it.. But when your teaching someone how to use the flight controls, I don't think it matter if you have flown 6000 hours in the bush with lots of longline time.

The brain is like a sponge. you can only consume so much at a time.. Just my view on the topic..

Learning the basics of flying can be thought by someone with 2-300 hours.. Give them a mountain course, do confined and longline training etc with an experienced guy in a turbine machine when they are ready for it.. ?? You learn everyday, thats the way i see it.. To have obtained a CPL license is not the end.. Its the point where you actually will start gaining experience..

As for the US license converted that easy.. Hope they will pick it up in Europe as well.. :)

In the end, it's all up to the company in Canada / US wherever to check you out and train you anyway..

And you will find pilots who can't fly in Canada as well.. Not only the US..