Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Need Advise From Ontario

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sling,

Again. no offense taken.

I have a story for you as well as others, if anyone cares to listen, may be off the topic a bit but i will pass it on anyhow,

Along time ago- (I think Jesus was still alive) 2 grubby miners, one prospector and one driller showed up at a large helicopter companies hangar looking for a heli to rent. Being all covered with grease and uncombed hair, torn clothes-etc. the XXX helicopter base manager said: "we are way too busy to fly you guys, we have government contracts and lots of work so we cannot do it. Go see Black Mike Heli Company, he has an old hunk of s**t Bell 47 that can probably do what you want- maybe."

They show up and I fly them that fall a little, in my hunk of s**t G3B1- nice guys- didn't look much different than I did except older. They explained how rude XXX heli base manager was to them with his smart a$$ comments.

That winter we received a call from Canada Tungsten Mining Corp. with a 400 hour contract for a JetRanger for the next summer with additional work following year. In conversation with their exploration manager he said he would never again fly with XXX heli company as they were rude to their contractors. We bought a hunk of **t JetRanger and flew them the following 3 summers.

That was 30 years ago and B.M Heli is still up and running, XXX has closed the doors and left.

(We since replaces our hunk of s**t's with better heli's.)

You never know who you are talking to and who is listening, especially in this business.

B.M.

This whole statment is worthy of it's own thread. How totally true. We have some of the most advanced technology at our disposal, yet there are those who just don't get it.

It sure has been a while BM, good memories of time spent with you and the gang in '03.

Yep, presently in Canberra, Oz. Pretty slow here despite the action down in Victoria.

Say hi to Les.

Cheers!

Michel

Hi Michel,

I haven't figured out how to do the e-mail thing with this forum- not too good with computers so I will be brief-

Things slow here, as you probably figured- a little heliski support with our friends from the coast doing the flying with a B2. Us using our L-4. Les is logging this winter, near Nazko now, wants to get back flying soon- like all of us. He did 2 fall tours with us, 2007 and 2008, mostly drill moves. I will pass regards on to him. Mining kind of ground to a halt but was a good bonus last 3 years. Gearing up for a slow year or 2, will see what happens.

I miss all the Bob Holt stories, his photograph still hanging on the wall, occasionally I run into someone that knew him and we laugh.

Have fun down there, see you on the "Big One"

B.M.

Hi Michel,

I haven't figured out how to do the e-mail thing with this forum- not too good with computers so I will be brief-

Things slow here, as you probably figured- a little heliski support with our friends from the coast doing the flying with a B2. Us using our L-4. Les is logging this winter, near Nazko now, wants to get back flying soon- like all of us. He did 2 fall tours with us, 2007 and 2008, mostly drill moves. I will pass regards on to him. Mining kind of ground to a halt but was a good bonus last 3 years. Gearing up for a slow year or 2, will see what happens.

I miss all the Bob Holt stories, his photograph still hanging on the wall, occasionally I run into someone that knew him and we laugh.

Have fun down there, see you on the "Big One"

B.M.

Hey Black Mike. I did that trip years ago in January 93 with the very first L-4 in Canada contrary to what the RCMP say (political thing). Went from Mirabel -Sudbury-Marathon-Kenora- St Andrew. Lotsa Fog and dodging Comm towers and Power lines. Didnt see much of the country like I wanted to. Have a safe one

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to miss Winnipeg completely, you can go Dryden to Lac Du Bonnet (CYAX), just have to call provincial helicopters there first, and ask if they'll sell ya some Jet A/B or whatever they have in their tanks.

They'll even take you to lunch and perhaps some of their junior pilots will clean your windows for ya?

Their number is 1-888-288-0701. I know that they do not normally sell fuel, but they might if you ask nicely. Good people.

Cheers

W.