Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Offshore Helicopter Involved In Incident: Coast Guard

Quote from Vertical News.

The TSB is an independent agency that investigates marine, pipeline, railway and aviation transportation occurrences. Its sole aim is the advancement of transportation safety. It is not the function of the Board to assign fault or determine civil or criminal liability.

Maybe we should all take note here and make sure it is NOT the function of the FORUM to assign fault.

From CBC news so don't get excited yet.

Cause still under investigation

The cause of the crash is still under investigation, and whether the stud played a role hasn't been determined.

Mike Cunningham, a TSB investigator, told CBC News that the TSB flagged the broken bolt for other organizations on Friday as a precautionary measure.

"This stud could have been broken off during the impact or possibly during the recovery process," he said.

"It had been identified by the manufacturer as something that needed to be improved, so when we saw that it was broken, we took the steps necessary to let those guys know what was going on."

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from Vertical News.

Maybe we should all take note here and make sure it is NOT the function of the FORUM to assign fault.

I think this thread has been very good so far. No speculating, no finger pointing, no arguments.

Very refreshing!!

Wait for the official preliminary findings, won't be long now.

I think this thread has been very good so far. No speculating, no finger pointing, no arguments.

Very refreshing!!

Wait for the official preliminary findings, won't be long now.

I agree.

What I have read is that TSB has not said this is the cause of the crash but the FAA is insinuating that TSB has done so. I am hoping that their squabbles do not spill over into this forum.

Quote from FAA

"It's just a little bit ahead of where we are on this," Brown said. "They [TSB] made it sound like a fait accompli, and it's not yet."

fail you have.

Cunningham said that investigators in Newfoundland were still attempting to determine whether the mounting stud in the helicopter crash broke off prior, during or as a result of aircraft going down on March 12.

The mounting titanium studs hold the gearbox filter bowl in the helicopter, which acts like an oil filter on a vehicle, which cleans the oil and provides lubrication to the aircraft, he said

Cunningham confirmed that before the helicopter went down off the coast of St. John's, it had reported a loss of oil pressure but says it is too early to tell whether this was a factor or cause in the fatal accident.

The cause has NOT been found hepcat. If you would take the time to READ your attachment it plainly states, and I quote...

"Cunningham confirmed that before the helicopter went down off the coast of St. John's, it had reported a loss of oil pressure but says it is too early to tell whether this was a factor or cause in the fatal accident."

Wait and see!!! NO SPECULATION, PLEASE.

Matt Davis was a very good friend, he even used to call me "Dad!"

Everyone is in pain over this. It can be very challenging to calm very frightened imaginations that seem to run wild in the wake of such tragedy. Even if you are an AME. Or part of the TSB. Or know someone who is... even if you are an expert on this very subject, hush. Bite your tongue. And breathe. Please wait for the absolute facts. It's painful enough already.

Helicopterjim, thank you for your PM earlier in the week, sorry I didn;t get chance to reply, I was travelling to work. and scrambling at times with internet connections to keep abreast. As stated in an earlier post I was hoping to be away for the sad return of this aircraft, alas not to be, I was just stepping out my front door as she came in. Very sad, alas life goes on. Having spent a few years offshore on the North Sea I would of been very hesitant to ditch in the sea states off Newfoundland at the time, and if I thought any chance for making the beach, would of gone for it definately. Very very sad, I agree no speculation on what has been a very sad thread, let the TSB, FAA,CAA do what they have to do, don;t forget alot of guys on N.Sea SAR and shuttles will be hurting also as she's becoming the workhorse of offshore. Don;t also forget the 61 also went through problems, but became the mainstay of offshore for many years, and is also bought in to support when modern technology is on the ground.

finally for me on this thread, I look back in hindsight, and would of rather been in SJ for this very sad accident, I moved to Newfie about 5 years ago, it has shown me the resiliance and friendship of these hardy ocean going people in another light. No more jokes about Newfies Eh.I for one feel very priveledged, as well as very sad to have been in the midst of such fine, brave people at such a time. Rest in peace all from Cougar 491, I for one will never forget.