Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Offshore Helicopter Involved In Incident: Coast Guard

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RCMP have released the following names with approval from the families:

MISSING:

-Peter Breen, 55, St. John's, N.L.

-Gary Corbett, 46, Conception Bay South, N.L.

-Wade Drake, 42, Fortune, N.L.

-Wade Duggan, 32, Witless Bay, N.L.

-Colin Henley, 38, St. John's, N.L.

-Ken MacRae, 47, Greenwood, N.S

-Derrick Mullowney, 51, Bay Bulls, N.L.

-Burch Nash, 44, Fortune, N.L.

-Paul Pike, 49, Shearstown, N.L.

-Tim Lanouette, 48, Comox, B.C.

-First Officer Thomas Anyll, 46, Langley , B.C.

CONFIRMED DECEASED:

-Allison Maher, 26, Mount Pearl, N.L. (formerly from Aquaforte)

*** R.I.P. ***

SURVIVOR:

-Robert Decker, St. John's, NL

9 Bodies recovered out of the wreckage.

Info on the crew is inaccurate, Tom Lanouette was the first officer, the name of the was released on the link below. My condolences to all the families and friends involved you will never be forgotten!!!

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1111657.html

9 Bodies recovered out of the wreckage.

Info on the crew is inaccurate, Tom Lanouette was the first officer, the name of the was released on the link below. My condolences to all the families and friends involved you will never be forgotten!!!

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1111657.html

Thanks for the typo correction, Ottorot8.

I received some potentially good news today and thought to share it with everyone here.

"Robbie is still in inttensive care on a ventilator. lots of water in his lungs and some broken bones, but if he can get the water out, he should be ok. stil day by day. lots of friends around for support."

In amongst prayers for the friends, families and loved ones who have lost, please keep Robbie

(we just call him "Decker") in your thoughts.

Thank you.

I sat in my living room window at 01'15 this morning and sat stunned as the Ospey came in. We knew surely it couldn't be survivors, I mean I had throw a wreath in the ocean only a day before with the end of SAR. Then it dawned on me what she would be carrying and I will admit yet more tears came to my eyes. As it transpired in the AM, 9 bodies of the deceased.Although not what my heart had hope for when I first saw the Osprey, I feel relief, as to quote Hank from Cougar, "they are back on the beach'', a term heard commonly in YYT.Gods speed to you poor souls.

I will sit in my window again tonight, with hope I now feel, that she will sail in again with the other souls aboard, and above all I hope she carries Tim and Matt.

I also hope that my time off is to an end,and I am away for the final trip for that fine 92 as she makes her sad final trip home. I am afraid that would be too much.

I sat in my living room window at 01'15 this morning and sat stunned as the Ospey came in. We knew surely it couldn't be survivors, I mean I had throw a wreath in the ocean only a day before with the end of SAR. Then it dawned on me what she would be carrying and I will admit yet more tears came to my eyes. As it transpired in the AM, 9 bodies of the deceased.Although not what my heart had hope for when I first saw the Osprey, I feel relief, as to quote Hank from Cougar, "they are back on the beach'', a term heard commonly in YYT.Gods speed to you poor souls.

I will sit in my window again tonight, with hope I now feel, that she will sail in again with the other souls aboard, and above all I hope she carries Tim and Matt.

I also hope that my time off is to an end,and I am away for the final trip for that fine 92 as she makes her sad final trip home. I am afraid that would be too much.

xo.

Canwest News ServiceMarch 17, 2009 3:05 AM

StoryPhotos ( 2 )Video ( 1 )

ICONPhotograph by: Greg Locke, Reuters, National Post; With Files From The Telegram And; Canwest News ServiceT. JOHN’S — The remaining seven victims of last week’s helicopter crash off the Newfoundland coast were returned to St. John’s early Tuesday morning, according to the RCMP.

Around 1 a.m., the seven bodies were unloaded from the Atlantic Osprey, a private ship which had led the recovery effort in recent days, in the harbour of the Newfoundland capital.

From there, the bodies were taken to a hospital where the province’s Chief Medical Examiner will perform autopsies to determine causes of death.

All of the 17 people killed in the Cougar Helicopters’ Sikorsky S-92 crash on Thursday have now been accounted for, said Sgt. Wayne Newell.

Newell said that despite the tragic circumstances, he was pleased that the recovery effort had proceeded quickly and smoothly. “It’s been a tremendous relief (for the families),” he said. “(The recovery operations) have gone better than expected. You never know if you’re going to find everyone.”

Newell said the process of extracting the bodies from the sunken wreckage was a tedious one. A remotely operated vehicle, or ROV, had to descend nearly 180 metres to the ocean floor.

Then, after a body was recovered from the crash, they were placed in a basket and raised to the surface.

Robert Decker, the sole survivor of the crash, was rescued Thursday. He has been recuperating in hospital where he is listed in critical but stable condition.

A funeral was held Monday in Fermeuse, N.L. for the first identified victim. Twenty-six-year-old Allison Maher of Aquaforte, N.L., was found dead shortly after the crash as well.

Six of the other 16 victims have been positively identified by their next of kin, said Newell, but he could not say which ones.

The 14 other identified victims who were aboard the helicopter were: Captain Matthew Davis, 34, of St. John’s; First Officer Tim Lanouette, 48, of Comox, B.C.; Thomas Anyll, 46, of Langley, B.C.; Peter Breen, 55, of St. John’s; Gary Corbett, 46, of Conception Bay South, N.L.; Wade Drake, 42, of Fortune, N.L., Wade Duggan, 32, of Witless Bay, N.L.; Colin Henley, 38, of St. John’s; Ken MacRae, 47, of Greenwood, N.S.; Derrick Mullowney, 51, of Bay Bulls, N.L.; Burch Nash, 44, of Fortune, N.L.; Paul Pike, 49, of Spaniard’s Bay, N.L.; Corey Eddy, 32, of Paradise, N.L.; and John Pelley, 41, of Deer Lake, N.L.

Two identities have not yet been released.

A memorial service is being planned for the victims on March 18 at a church in St. John’s.

The remains of the helicopter are to be lifted out later this week.

With files from Bradley Bouzane, St. John’s Telegram

© Copyright © Canwest News Service

Hi newfieboy,

I too live downtown and see the vessels each day. it is a very sad and difficult time here in the city.

I do pray that thier souls rest in peace, Matt and tim, and all the passengers. My thoughts and prayers to all the families who have lost their love ones.

I'll be with all of you in heart and spirit at the Basilica tonight in St. John's.

xo.

Rest in Natural Great Peace this exhausted mind,

Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thoughts

Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves

In the infinite ocean of samsara.

Rest in Natural Great Peace.

~ Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche