Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Offshore Helicopter Involved In Incident: Coast Guard

This touches close to home.

Hope all come out well.

Heard on CBC Radio, the hospitals were gearing up for more survivors, and that they were winching up more people.

Hospitals were gearing up for sever hypthermia (obviously). Weather was horrible.

I keep my fingers crossed for more good new.

Harald.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the CADORS.

Record #7 Cadors Number: 2009A0212

Reporting Region: Atlantic

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Accident

Occurrence Date: 2009/03/12 Occurrence Time: 1215 Z

Day Or Night: day-time Fatalities: 1 Injuries: Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name: Occurrence Location: 472605N515658W

Province: Country: CANADA World Area: North America

Reported By: NAV CANADA AOR Number: 105029-V1

TSB Class Of Investigation: 3

TSB Occurrence No.: Event InformationEngine oil problemForced landingCollision with terrainDiversion

Aircraft InformationFlight #: CHI91 Aircraft Category: HelicopterCountry of Registration: CANADA Make: SIKORSKY Model: S92A Year Built: 2006

Amateur Built: No Engine Make: GENERAL ELECTRIC Engine Model: CT7-8A Engine Type: Turbo shaft Gear Type: Land Phase of Flight: Cruise

Damage: Destroyed Owner: COUGAR HELICOPTERS INC. Operator: COUGAR HELICOPTERS INC. (4791)Operator Type: Commercial Detail InformationUser Name:MacQuarrie, JackDate:2009/03/12Further Action Required:Yes O.P.I.:Maintenance & Manufacturing Narrative:CHI91, S92, enroute from St. John's (CYYT) to the Hibernia Oil Platform at 12:15Z, declared MAYDAY due to a main gear box oil pressure problem and requested to return to St. John's. Air Traffic Control cleared the flight as requested. At 12:25Z aircraft ditched at position 472605N515658W.

Guest SidewallPuncture

wow.....I don't want to speculate too far, but that timeline is pretty scary, from mayday until ditching was only 10 minutes, even if they lost all oil, thats not alot of time untill the disastrous result.

My thoughts go out to those involved in this very tragic time.