Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Apprentices / Good Or Bad?

good luck frickin'. can't wait to hear what you think in about 4 years. You are and will be taken advantage of because of your "gung ho" attitude. we will see what you think after you spend 6 weeks in Loon River because "we are trying to get you a rotation out, but......". oh and have fun making (to use your vocabullary) "frik" all for a wage.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-800-WAN-ADIE I believe is the number. I have it on speed dial. Is there cell coverage in Old Crow?

I understand that while getting my foot in the door I may step on some loon poop, but I am going to have to walk through that door before I can see to avoid what I do not want to step in. Don’t worry 212, I have no illusions about making money. If I wanted money I could go back to my $300/day drill rig job. I want helicopters.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I do appreciate it.

Apprentice :huh:

I don't know where these "tours from ****" are comming from. The pilots and engineers that are in my circle are all 12 on 12 off, 2 and 2, 21 and 10, 3 and 2 or at max 4 and 2. Even Canadian is running 4 and 2 now. If your not on one of these rotations - update the resume. Everyone is looking for experienced crews right now. In 19 years I have never seen so many helicopter positions available. If your not happy where you are, get a few stamps together! :huh:

Sissy puss(sp?) you just got your operating certificate and your "new" leased jetranger. you gonna pay 100k to yourself and one other driver to fly it for the year! best of luck on the tariff there mate! things will look a little different when you are paying o'reilly, marsh and save on! not a personal dig - just a different point of view... ;)

VR

FA, that's good advice from Blackmac.

With that "gung ho" attitude you may get used and abused for a while by a shady operator. However, someone else will see your spirit and give you a much better offer. Meanwhile, the bitter and jaded wrenches will still be doing six week tours in Loon River.

Attitude is everything. On that note, please think about a name-change to something less depreciative, you are worth alot to someone, you just have to find who that is. (I think "Ape-prentice" is still available).

FrigginApprentice, you have the same attitude I had when I graduated college 14 years ago. Don't ever let the naysayers bring you down! They're either chronic complainers or they're the type of people that enjoy working for a unionised shop, and we know what that means!!!!

It's true that the pay isn't all that great but there are good paying jobs out there for people with your kind of attittude.

Besides, if we were in it for money, we would've chosen a different career.

Any pilot/engineer that gets treated like sh-t or taken advantage of either deserves it or is simply a total imbecile!!!

There is way too much demand for good employees in this business to put up with assh-le employers!!!!!

You might not have the chance to pick and choose your first employer too start but once you have some experience, the sky is the limit.

This business will offer you opportunities that no other career can, if you work hard and have the right attitude.

By the way, I'm presently looking for an apprentice with your kind of ambition so if you're interested, PM me and we'll talk.

Otherwise, working for GreatSlave Helicopters as previously mentioned would be a great career choice.

Anyways, keep up the good attitude and don't give up because it will eventually pay off!!

P.S. Nobody will take advantage of you unless you let them! :up:

Frickin'

Go for the adventure you will probably have a blast. It sure beats the **** out of a 9 to 5 hangar job. You can have a sh-t load of fun in this business especially when you are young and single.

Just one thing though, no one is has your long term interests in mind other than yourself, so keep an eye on where you are heading (or others are leading you) and try to come up with a long term plan.