Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

M2 Maint Requirements

Iceman

Been out of the game for the past couple years because of a medical issue. I have received a conditional class 1 medical which requires I fly in a multi crew environment only but those jobs are far and few between so I want to utilize my AME license.

Currently I've been wrenching at the local Harley shop since I left flying helicopters but an opportunity has come up for me to get back into aviation (as an AME).

The problem is the company I'm looking at will require an M2 from me before too long, I have plenty experience working on the Jetstream 31 and DHC 6, do these aircraft qualify as M2 experience?

I am going to start brushing up on the latest CARS but thought I'd ask here, what is getting this M2 going to take?

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To keep your AME license current you must have worked on civil registered a/c for 6 months in the preceding 24 months. If you only have an M1 license and want to upgrade to an M2 you need to show experience on a/c that weigh over 12,566 lbs. Contact your local Transport Canada office for more details. And where did you get that nice flag on your picture? I spent some time down there too.

If you only have an M1 license and want to upgrade to an M2 you need to show experience on a/c that weigh over 12,566 lbs. Contact your local Transport Canada office for more details.

Yes I understand that is the procedure but I just wanted some personal input here from anyone in the know.

And where did you get that nice flag on your picture? I spent some time down there too.

3 years doing Montserrat Volcano helicopter tours, Wadadli beer and a never ending supply of sexy ladies, I'd have to say was the pinnicle of my career.

post-1295-1244348181_thumb.jpg

Information pertaining to turbine powered helicopters:

CARs STD 566.03(8):

(b)Holders of either an M1 or M2 rated AME licence also have maintenance release privileges for all:

(amended 2003/09/01; no previous version)

(i) turbine powered helicopters; and

(ii) SFAR 41C aeroplanes, including their associated variants and derivatives.

Hope this information helps you.

Sven

As indicated in my post above, M1 equals M2 in the turbine helicopter world. However, as listed below, you need a type course including the engine and to sign a maintenance release. On helicopters operated under CARs part IV and VII you need ACA from an appropriately rated AMO and whatever experience they require, including a Human Factors course.

I would think that a privately operated S92 or something of that size would be operated within CBAA guidelines. Anybody has experience in that area?

CARs 571.11

(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), no person shall sign a maintenance release in respect of maintenance performed on a transport category aeroplane or a turbine-powered helicopter, unless the person

(a) has successfully completed a course of maintenance training that has been approved by the Minister and that is applicable to the type of aircraft, engine or system on which the maintenance is performed, in accordance with Appendix M of Chapter 571 of the Airworthiness Manual; or

(b ) held a type rating applicable to the type of aircraft, engine or system on which the maintenance is performed, issued by the Minister before August 1, 1999.(grandfather clause)

In the helicopter world a large aircraft weighs 6,018 lbs. 12,566 lbs is for our fixed wing friends. This would explain why Elvis got his M2. (I think the GW for a Bell 212 is 11.200 lbs).

Remember that Transport Canada doesn't differentiate between Fixed-wing and Helicopter when it comes to licensing, so if you have an M2 like Elvis, that could help you if you go work for Westjet or Air Canada.

CARs 600.01

"large aircraft" - means an aeroplane having a maximum permissible take-off weight in excess of 5 700 kg (12,566 pounds) or a rotorcraft having a maximum permissible take-off weight in excess of 2 730 kg (6,018 pounds).

I hope this clarifies some of the M1/M2 issue in the helicopter world.

Cheers

Sven

Thanks for the help, I will actually be looking after a 407 which I know an M2 is not required but the company is getting a Falcon 50 jet, thats where the M2 will be needed.

As indicated in my post above, M1 equals M2 in the turbine helicopter world. However, as listed below, you need a type course including the engine and to sign a maintenance release. On helicopters operated under CARs part IV and VII you need ACA from an appropriately rated AMO and whatever experience they require, including a Human Factors course.

I would think that a privately operated S92 or something of that size would be operated within CBAA guidelines. Anybody has experience in that area?

CARs 571.11

(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), no person shall sign a maintenance release in respect of maintenance performed on a transport category aeroplane or a turbine-powered helicopter, unless the person

(a) has successfully completed a course of maintenance training that has been approved by the Minister and that is applicable to the type of aircraft, engine or system on which the maintenance is performed, in accordance with Appendix M of Chapter 571 of the Airworthiness Manual; or

(b ) held a type rating applicable to the type of aircraft, engine or system on which the maintenance is performed, issued by the Minister before August 1, 1999.(grandfather clause)

In the helicopter world a large aircraft weighs 6,018 lbs. 12,566 lbs is for our fixed wing friends. This would explain why Elvis got his M2. (I think the GW for a Bell 212 is 11.200 lbs).

Remember that Transport Canada doesn't differentiate between Fixed-wing and Helicopter when it comes to licensing, so if you have an M2 like Elvis, that could help you if you go work for Westjet or Air Canada.

CARs 600.01

"large aircraft" - means an aeroplane having a maximum permissible take-off weight in excess of 5 700 kg (12,566 pounds) or a rotorcraft having a maximum permissible take-off weight in excess of 2 730 kg (6,018 pounds).

I hope this clarifies some of the M1/M2 issue in the helicopter world.

Cheers

Sven