Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Asrd Suspending Companies?

A buddy of mine told me that Alberta suspended at least one operator from flying for falsifying pilot records in the last week. Has anyone heard of this? I saw a guy last year on a fire that only had 300 hours but I didn't know what the mins were for ASRD. How long can they suspend somebody and what other actions can they take? And what about those "competency based" hiring practices I keep hearing about? I thought hourly minimums were going away?

HH

Hi guys -

Just wanted to provide a little clarification around the Pilot Competencies for Wildfire Ops as well as the hourly mins you mentioned.

The Western Forest Agencies are now phasing in the use of the HAC Pilot Competencies, so Canadian helicopter operators will use the document to ensure their pilots meet the competency expectations of the Customers (being the forest agencies). Operators are now required to complete "Pilot Information" section of Webair to note which of the 8 skill sets described in the Pilot Competencies document their pilots demonstrate to a satisfactory level.

These Pilot Competencies are in addition to regulatory requirements. A good example of this, is Low Visibility VFR Flight - CAR 702.17 and CASS 722.17(2) - "Before conducting operations in reduced visibility, pilots shall have achieved at least 500 hours of pilot-in-command experience in helicopters". This regulatory requirement is also referenced in the Pilot Competencies document, and operators must first satisfy this regulatory requirement and then the Pilot Competencies requirements before their pilot goes out flying in the low-vis wildfire environment.

Hope that helps!

(Also - the Pilot Competencies for Wildfire Operations document can be viewed here: http://www.h-a-c.ca/PQWG-Pilot_Competencies_for_Helicopter_Wildfire_Operations.pdf )

• Like 3

An example of what can and has happened.......A pilot in the U.S. falsified his experience and flight times in order to fly for a U.S based operator.

He was working a heavy lift helicopter that was tank equipped. He hooked the snorkel on a mud tank and subsequently rolled the aircraft over when he pulled pitch to trying to dislodge it from the tank.

Upon investigation, it was revealed he lied on several fronts.....I was told directly from the USFS inspector doing my competency ride, that he is banned indefinetely from ever working for them.

A reminder to operators and management......check your flight crews credentials, experience, and references closely !

• Like 1

If, because companies have been given some freedom under the new pilot competency program, and it is abused - ban them for life.

If when allowed to police ourselves, "we" fail, then "we" should be out of the game.

If we don't, our industry will slowly (quickly) spiral down the toilet.

The old hour rule was totally not fair, but if companies want to "play with" the new rules and get caught, then they should pay the ultimate price...

The new rules offer lots of opportunities to get new people in (which we desperately need) but if that's not good enough for some companies, then go play in someone elses sandbox.

Good on ASRD for standing up - don't back down because someone complains...

• Like 1

This bullshiit" Oh I stopped filling out the book at 1500hrs" Bollocks! What a pile of crap and totally unprofessional with exception of the USA and CANADA you need a valid log stamped and dated to get a job.

P5

This bullshiit" Oh I stopped filling out the book at 1500hrs" Bollocks! What a pile of crap and totally unprofessional with exception of the USA and CANADA you need a valid log stamped and dated to get a job.

P5

Good call ASRD! let's weed out the bullshitters!

Here we go, spiralling another thread into the dreck pits.

SRD, like any of this industry's customers, has the right to make its own rules. As has been ammply suggested, if you don't like them, find another sandbox to play in. Better yet, spend some time on research and dialogue, and work to improve things, not simply disparage them.

I think what the ASRD, if its true, is the right thing. With the new HAC requirments being implemented in part of the country, hopefully all the provinced will catch on also. The skill level seems more relavent then any hour requirment! Why would anyone care how many hrs a pilot has, they should be more concerend about the job getting done efficently and safely. Also why should any customer pay top dollar and receive sub-standard performance from a pilot or machine!

Every compaines cp's and mangament should be well aware of there pilots and machines capabilities and should be held accountable!

Good on ASRD and HAC!

• Like 1