Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cheaper Ifr/Night Training In The Us, Is It Worth It?

I am looking at getting my IFR Rating and night endorsement and was wondering if anyone from Canada has gone through the US to get the training since it is significantly cheaper to rent a helicopter, $300 p/hr vs. $750-$1050hr in Canada for an IFR equipt machine.

Does anyone know what the advantages and disadvantages are such as tax credits for training or how hard it would be to get certified with TC after the training is complete. I have been looking at the option of 35 hours of fixed wing/sim, and 5 helicopter but still think if i could make it work rather easily in the US it would probably be cheaper and may get an FAA liscense out of the deal.

Any thoughts or experiences going this route would be greatly appreciated.

DO IT! So worth your while. I've got so much work because of my FAA. Plus it's $260/hr(taxes in) compared to whatever the schools in Canada are asking. TC suggested it to me simply because of the savings.

Look up Glacier Aviation in Skaggit/Burlington.

What was your experience converting the lisence to TC?

Since I'm no longer trying to sell the training I'll say this about converting:

as long as you hold a CURRENT IFR ticket from FAA or JAA or any other ICAO land, all you need is the written and the flight test, however, you need an instructor to sign you off for the ride, so they might want to do an hour or so for the signature, and then all you need to do is pass the ride. It really is as simple as that.

Now, I would certainly not dissuade you from doing any training in Canada tho, and there are good schools out there...

But nother point I would want to make, is make SURE you know how to use the GPS equipment, as it is MANDATORY on the flight test these days!!

Cheers

H.

750-1000/hr? Im not sure where your getting that price. You can go to ProIFR and have most of your training done in a simulator and a C172 for 90-150/ hr, and the remaining 5 hrs on a IFR equipped R22 for 450/hr ( im not sure of the rates anymore)

Its totally not neccesary to do the whole IFR rating in a helicopter, your learning IFR procedures, I think a Sim does a better job of this and is cheaper

750-1000/hr? Im not sure where your getting that price. You can go to ProIFR and have most of your training done in a simulator and a C172 for 90-150/ hr, and the remaining 5 hrs on a IFR equipped R22 for 450/hr ( im not sure of the rates anymore)

Its totally not neccesary to do the whole IFR rating in a helicopter, your learning IFR procedures, I think a Sim does a better job of this and is cheaper

Pro IFR is $140 p/hr sim and $194 cessna 172 plus they don't have a R22 anymore so you have to finish the remainder 5 hours helicopter at Chinook at $750 to $ 1050 for R44 or 206. So kind of expensive these days I havent found a school in canada that operates anything less than a R44 for IFR training so it is a little more expensive these days.

• Like 1

Pro IFR is $140 p/hr sim and $194 cessna 172 plus they don't have a R22 anymore so you have to finish the remainder 5 hours helicopter at Chinook at $750 to $ 1050 for R44 or 206. So kind of expensive these days I havent found a school in canada that operates anything less than a R44 for IFR training so it is a little more expensive these days.

Doesn't Lyle Watts at Heli-College in Langley not have an IFR R-22 anymore?