Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bonus For New Hires

FREDDIE

Interesting I see companies trying to get personal to hire up by giving them a hiring bonus. Why don't they pay a bonus for loyalty so people don't move?

Funny this point is brought up today. I was just having coffee with an ex British military fellow. He has two buddies that are helicopter pilots in the British Military. Anyway he told me every 3 years they get a 50,000 retention bonus. Now take it for what it is, just coffee talk, but talk about being proactive eh?

Too bad more emphasis is put on rewarding people to jump ship, than to the people who stick with the company for the long haul.

49merc

• Like 6

Sorry to say this but its only a matter of time. In the fixed wing industry they call it training bonds. With things like signing bonus this will have people jumping ship on companies that just put money into endorsements to watch their investment walk out the door. Kind of funny how these same company don't want a pilot until they have over 1,000 hours and by their own post if you have over 1,500 hours you will get preference. So guys and gals lets all go to work for those smaller companies that are willing to take a chance on us and invest in our future by doing so. Then when we get the magic hours the big companies want we can all jump ship and go work for the big guy that will offer a few cents more per month or flight hour let alone signing bonus's. Things like this just make me sick. Some will slam me for this but if these big companies are so great why do they have to lure people in with things like this crap. As i said in another post the way they treated people over the last couple years may have come around to bite them in the a$$.

• Like 13

Ya wanna know the part about these new signing bonuses that really grinds my gears. I had one helluva time getting about that much in vacation pay out of one of the said companies that's offering those bonuses right before I made the decision to part ways to greener pastures after 6 years there.

• Like 5

Ya wanna know the part about these new signing bonuses that really grinds my gears. I had one helluva time getting about that much in vacation pay out of one of the said companies that's offering those bonuses right before I made the decision to part ways to greener pastures after 6 years there.

It would be interesting to know if there is a bonus or raise for those that stay. Some how i doubt that i think you only get the bonus if you leave some one else high and dry.

• Like 4

The reality of the situation in aviation is that most of the companies out there are run by people with limited, if any, education in or understanding of, the management of people and resources. Unfortunately there are a precious few who operate with the best of intentions, the rest, well, fly by the seat of their pants (pardon the pun) and leave pilots, engineers, and customers to be treated very poorly. We can all name the companies easily enough.

For all you young pilots - and some of you old "company men" - out there, understand one thing about this industry: There is no loyalty amongst thieves, and that analogy is not that far from the mark. Look after yourself, get your deals in writing, and walk out the door when you're treated like ####. It's all you've got to trade on. These signing bonuses, as well pointed out already, are being offered for a reason, and it really takes very little scratching to remove the veneer. Tread carefully.

Safe flying in 2012 everyone,

AR

• Like 6