Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Ranger Down

With both boost pumps failed, the unusable fuel may be as high as 150 pounds in a longdog, so it is very important to ensure that the caution lights are working. Also, it is equaly important to check the boost-pumps during run-up and to monitor the fuel burn during flight. These may seem like standard procedures, but because the fuel system is so finicky, extra care is required. Having said that, I do agree with beltdrive in that we should reserve the finger pointing untill we know all the facts.

Hey Guys!

beltdrive. I know that your right about these check valves operating poorly from time to time. I'm certain that after the fuel load reaches 240 lbs or less the engine will, in fact, quit due to fuel starvation if the fuel transfer check valves are dirty or sticking. I've had this experience with an L1. Once the check valves were properly cleaned it was fine, but I've heard that these check valves are fairly tempramental.

cheers. 412

I talk to a friend (yes I have friends lol) and he said in his company they replaced them all with the valves from the 205, apperently they r less prone to fail. In my case i was on the ground when i tested it, the engeneer just had cleaned the cell and valves and he wanted me to run it at 200 lbs without the pumps. She caved 20 second after I pulled the boostpumps at 220 lbs.

the 150 lbs is good when ur checkvalves r working. I think u start burning fuel from ur foward tanks at 450 lbs and the forward tanks r dry at 200 lbs. That is when ur valves supposed to be closed. There is a chart about the fuel burn from the forward tanks in ur flight manual.

If check valves/ejector pumps are not working to transfer the fuel the gauge will still indicate total capacity in older moders and may flame out with 150-170 lbs fuel indicated. BUT the low LIGHT will still come on regardless as the indicator for such in in the aft area. When low light comes on LAND. Thus when flying and indicator reads 200 lbs and low light comes on LAND, do NOT start checking pumps and such till on the ground.

Boost pump pressure runs the ejector/transfer pumps thus in falty pump with no indication or dirty ejector pump you can have a unidentifiable problem until the low light comes on. New models have the ability to select the tank indications and tell exactly where the fuel is.

sc

:huh: het B.D, .....I think you miss the "point"......"Nobody has ever died because of a rumour".... they sure have because of fuel starvation... :stupid:

\

Helilog...u missed the ponit when u started writing here....

Your another one who has nothing to share but to point fingers?? All I wanted is to share the valve thing because i think we should learn from each other not point fingers...I learned it form some one else ...and is`nt this page to learn from each other???? Or u that good u know it all???

<_< Jeeez B.D. lighten up.....Check the other thread that was started based upon your reaction. Your a bit touchy about this finger pointing thing. That was exactly "not my point" (sorry couldn't resist the pun) :D . It was meant to instill a little thought provoking conversation.

I have spent many, many, years as a C.P. and Ops Manager and had constant battles trying to keep flight crews from running dangerously low fuel to try to "get the job done". I lost two very close friends in a 214 because of a poor pilot decision causing fuel starvation due to a lost boost pump. NO, it is not as you say, "that I feel That I am That good" to be pointing fingers at anyone. You my friend should read carefully the "how low do you go thread".

I am extremely encouraged to read some of those responses, and know there are some very adept, intelligent pilots. But alas....there are also the "hero" or self proclaimed "legend" pilots where as they do stupid things to try t make themselves look better.......Safe Flying