Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A Great Company

In light of a recent thread I started regarding " averaged mins" , I would like to clear the bad air that I have created for my current employer. I have supervisors and co-workers within this company that I respect and consider friends as they have gone to great extents to accommodate any concerns I have had.

I felt that my words in this thread where not directed to my employer, but to the industry as a whole, and as a topic of conversation. After being made aware I have started the vicious rumor mill towards this company, I have read back through the thread and I can now see how it could be misinterpreted due to my poor choices in words.

I would like to clear the air and correct any misinterpretation, and publicly apologize for any issues I created for the people that I have enjoyed working with over the past 4+ years. Apparently there are people out there that do not work for this company that are wondering what is going on within. I am telling you again this thread was NOT directed to my current employer in anyway.

I would also like to state, as I did before in my thread that I currently work for a great company, and the difference of general treatment I have received in comparison to other employers, is un-surpassable. The countless little things that I receive from automatic emergency upgrades on long haul flights, choice of carriers to scheduling make it a pleasure to work here.

I really don't mind what people's opinion of me is, however I feel terrible that I have brought this cloud upon people that I respect.

In recent years I have found the vertical forums to be vicious with rumors, misinterpretation, and speculation. I believe in freedom of speech and find it hard to exercise it on Forums. I hope for the staff of this great magazine, it will improve, however our industry seems to prevail with un-professionalism time after time. Maybe it is even from guys like myself with posts like mine that are the problem, however I do want a better industry to work in. To all you friends I have made through the forums, hope to see you in the field.

I am closing my account, as this has been blown way out of proportion in the complete wrong direction for the last time and has left me with a knot in my stomach.

Cheers to all, and fly safe.

• Like 1

If it can be of any comfort to you, I didn't see your posts as being directed to your employer, but rather at the way our industry works, which can be frustrating for all of us at times.

I have on occasion made posts I regretted afterwards. We are all human after all. Don't sweat it. I'm sure your bosses are just as understanding as mine are... ;)

• Like 1

Very good post, and good remarks from Skidz.

Unlike some, I think you generally add more to this forum than not. Don't cancel your account, just wait an hour or overnight before hitting the send button!

There is currently a lot of discussion and new information emerging about forum comments; Popular Science Magazine recently shut theirs off and have a good article on why they did that:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/why-were-shutting-our-comments#0Eu6QUwXt1u3lp7R.03

Of course, the oxygen of a forum is its comments. The trick is for serious readers to hone their skills in critical thinking to root out bad information or poorly founded opinion.

As for the trolls, some of whom may have sociopathic tendencies towards causing pain for others, they are best ignored. Hopefully, they will go elsewhere to apply their dismal trade. Their oxygen is attention.

In my volunteer work, I create lots of opinion pieces but never publish in real-time, usually wait until the next day and often have the material reviewed by others.

So, hang in there, all thoughtful comment is useful even if it may need later revision!

Cheers…

I really don't mind what people's opinion of me is, however I feel terrible that I have brought this cloud upon people that I respect.

And with every cloud, one can find a silver lining. I think your being a bit hard on yourself.....an opinion expressed is never a bad thing whether or not anyone else agrees or disagree's....that freedom of speech thing we have.

If your employer is as you say they are, your apology should be accepted with no harm done....so as suggested sirlandalot, take a deep breath and rethink....:)

Cheers....Bob

• Like 1

Sir, I don't know what company you work for, and don't really care. You complaint was about averaging, not your pay rate. Averaging is passed down from the customers to the operators, then on to the flight team. It is throughout our industry, and not just particular to your company, as we all know. If your fellow crew members and bosses are as good as you say, they will understand your point of view....though maybe this wasn't the right place to express it. I'm sure you feel worse about your post than anyone else does. I feel you rushed to make your comments in haste, and are now leaving this site in another hasty, emotional move. That is not the way a professional should carry himself. So take a breath, learn from it and you'll be a better person for it. And we'll all benefit from your wiser thoughts in the future.

• Like 2

I don't recall ever seeing your actual name mentioned or the name of your employer mentioned in any of your posts that I have read.

Hense the forums good and bad virtues of anonymity.

However, if you are who I think you are you shouldn't loose any sleep over your previous comments. Your employer should come around and recognize that you usually go above and beyond and take on more non-flying extra duties in your shift than most other guys you work alongside. Your employer should also look at their turn over rate and see if this stupid little drama is worth loosing another good guy over. They're obviously putting out the wrong 'vibe'. Everyone has the right to vent off a little steam now and again.

Disregard if I'm way out in left field and I've got the wrong guy, and pull up your socks and be more like the guy I'm talking about.

• Like 1

As with all who've posted above, I didn't read your comments as a slight against your employer.

And yes, we would be sad to see you leave (at least, under your current account name).

Really, as with most of the drama on this forum, give it a few weeks and it'll be on page 4 or 5 and no one will remember.

• Like 1