Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chl And Kelowna Flightcraft Win Contract

Hover-Pig -------I'm serious with these questions, so don't take them as sarcasm...........why the A/C? How long has that been the case what kind of Empty Weights did you guys have with them installed? You kinda raised my eyebrows on that one and I have no problem with it at all. I can think of a few times when I would have appreciated the same on 30+C days.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose if I had to spend eight hours a day in one of those cockpits in the sunny Okanagan, or even Portage La Prairie, with a lot of 3)+ temps, I'd be thankful for the AC, but good God! is that kind of expense really warranted? Then again, has it ever mattered whether or not it was warranted??? :stupid:

Our aircraft only ever fly with two pilots and very little internal cargo and we have no cargo hooks. For us to battle fatigue on those hot summer days where you are doing 5 to 8 hours in the cockpit with doors on the AC is worth the weight penalty.

Personally I'd rather just get wedgy windows with better vents but I'll take the AC.

By the way, 8 C-FTHN Bell 206B Bombardier Inc. 1993-04-13 3358 was destroyed in an autorotation accident July 2002.

For us to battle fatigue on those hot summer days where you are doing 5 to 8 hours in the cockpit with doors on the AC is worth the weight penalty.

:huh: H.P......Please tell me you kidding.....I would like to think that, my slack-*** 8 hr. day, moving 1.5 million pounds of logs off a steep, windswept mountain side around ground personel everyday in some of the most severe weather that B.C. can throw at us, is just another day at the office. Jeez, I can just hear the laughter now if we asked for A/C....Never mind that.....It would be downright embarrasing to even consider it!

"Fatigue"....yea, I guess our overstressed miltary pilots must be coddled a bit to maintain their "fit fighting" status......Cripes, can I get a rebate on my taxes :shock:

Had some friends who were US Navy instructors and they had AC in their 206 ( TH whatever in milspeak ) instrument trainers.

They loved it. It gets pretty hot n humid in Florida in the summer. It was a pretty neat system.

The 76 has poor ventilation and in the 40 plus days it would sure be nice to have. I bet if the customer required it you would have it slapped in PDQ.

Helilog56 - I wonder how you would feel after a day of logging with AC vs how you feel now after a long day? A lot better I bet. Why would anyone laugh at you if you had it? No weakness in wanting to be warm in winter and cool in summer. After all you only need a system to cool the crew compartment. How many cars do you see today without AC?

Helilog feel free to ask for a rebate on your taxes. I have no doubt you guys work very hard and put in long hours.

I will say again as many military have in the past, we don't just fly, we'd like to but we are officers first. For me to instruct 5 hours in the cockpit there will be around 1 to 2 hours of pre-flight briefings and around an hour of post-flight brief. I will also have other administrative duties in the unit and it could make my day an easy 10 hours long at times. So when we do get into the machine it **** nice to have AC and yes, all the USN, USAF and US Army machines have AC.

We have heat in winter, why not AC in summer especially when there is no weight penalty for us since we don't use our machines for lifting.

Helilog feel free to ask for a rebate on your taxes. I have no doubt you guys work very hard and put in long hours.

I will say again as many military have in the past, we don't just fly, we'd like to but we are officers first. For me to instruct 5 hours in the cockpit there will be around 1 to 2 hours of pre-flight briefings and around an hour of post-flight brief. I will also have other administrative duties in the unit and it could make my day an easy 10 hours long at times. So when we do get into the machine it **** nice to have AC and yes, all the USN, USAF and US Army machines have AC.

We have heat in winter, why not AC in summer especially when there is no weight penalty for us since we don't use our machines for lifting.

Please take this "tongue in cheek" Hover Pig, but commercial pilots regularly put in 10-12 hour duty days, for 3-8 hours of flight. The rest of the time is spent loading/unloading, preparing sling gear, cleaning the a/c, helping the AME with repairs and what-not, etc.

I'm willing to bet that while you occifers are hard at work with your "other duties", (many of which no-doubt take place in the officers mess), you have ground crew to do all the grunt work on the a/c, dontcha ? :P

i was just looking at the picture above...sure looks like a destroyed 206 to me. I wonder how long it took to send it to the  government crusher?

"sorry sarge, I bent the gear and busted the window...lets get a new one"

Sigh . . :wacko: I guess the military can never get a break. Please join and help us sort out our silly ideas! :P

Maybe the guy in the left seat (not yet extricated) with the broken back might tell you something about the condition of the aircraft.

But then again, I think you are the guy who wants to buy the Sea Kings too when they are done. You seem attracted to old beat-up machinery. Seek Medical help while there is still time before you go shopping for an AMC Gremlin, or a Pinto! :D

This posting is made with toungue-in-cheek and in no way derides the person, or his ancestors, in the quotation. Standard disclaimers apply. © 2005.