Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Fatigue Regulations

Cosmo

15 hours ago, Winnie said:

A little silly calling it "liberal rules" as that has nothing to do with it, the proposed lawmaking is based on ICAO and EASA.

Most companies have only themselves to blame anyway, greedy owners running minimum crews for as long as possible, now fighting over the few scraps left in the industry. My opinion, glad I'm not chasing the beast anymore...

Hi Winnie,

is that actually factual? Did most ICAO member countries and EASA actually implement regulations as rigid and complex as these right across the board, for all sectors of commercial aviation (including light and intermediate VFR Helicopters)?  It’s my understanding that most generally applied similar regulations to larger air carriers and airlines only, while TC chose to apply this standard to all air carriers.
Does  our nearest neighbour, the FAA have similar regulations for VFR helicopters, and their closest equivalent to on-demand 703 Air Taxi operations?
I’m not trying to be derogatory. I’ll openly admit that my knowledge of international regulations, worldwide is limited, and I get the impression you have more international experience.,.

I do agree that making this a partisan issue and blaming the liberals is a bit silly. While the Libs were in power when they came into force, I think the proposed rule changes came in 2012 when the Cons were in power. I think the public servants had more to do with pushing it through, and they are the ones who should be held accountable.

• Like 1

There is also more to the discussion than just the new fatigue regulations.
I don’t expect the Prime Minister to be able to define the differences between a 702 aerial work flight and 703 Air Taxi flight, but the Standards Branch at TC, and every inspector should be able to handle that basic task off the top of their head. Shouldn’t they?

They have been working for months on that Advisory Circular, and the draft they circulated seems to indicate they are still thoroughly confused. Either that or the bureaucrats are willfully trying to re-write the regulations through guidance material. If that is the case, they fail to realize that the law is the law for both the operator and the bureaucracy, and they are in non compliance. This leads me to question the integrity and competence of the entire organization, and those who wrote the fatigue rules. That’s not a dig at every inspector. In my experience organizational  issues like this start at the management/executive level, which would involve the Standards Branch. It continues to look like they come up with a narrative in advance and try to push it through, regardless of  the reality is.
Jaqueline Booth director of standards was the co-chair of the working group. Remember her? She didn’t understand the difference between Flight Tine and Aur Tine back in 2012, but she was drafting rules to limit flight time. Are we harmonized with ICAO when it comes to that discussion?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you are fighting fires...you are 702. Ops normal. Slight change to max hours flown in 30 days. 12 hour duty day. 8 hours max flight time. Now stop yakking and go to work. It's getting busy out here! Go make some $$$$$$ and stay safe :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 412driver said:

If you are fighting fires...you are 702. Ops normal. Slight change to max hours flown in 30 days. 12 hour duty day. 8 hours max flight time. Now stop yakking and go to work. It's getting busy out here! Go make some $$$$$$ and stay safe :)

What are the changes to hours flown in 30 days? 

• Like 1

703 limits are:

8 hours in 24 hour period  

112 hours in 28 days

300 hours in 90 days 

1000 hours in 365 days 

702 limits are:

60 hours in 7 days

120 hours in 30 days

300 hours in 90 days 

1200 hours in 365 

With specific approval:

60 hours in 7 days 

150 hours in 30 days

210 hours in 42 days 

450 hours in 90 days 

900 hours in 180 days 

1200 in 365 days  

under 702, accumulated hours can be reset to zero after 5 consecutive days off  

this is from my current employers COM 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2