Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

iPad Mini Mounting

hybrid

Might be a longshot here.....

maybe ask your employer/aircraft owner if they can purchase a Paravion (or similar) STC monitor mount. Mounts to either side of the instrument hood with 2 screws, has swivel attachments for individual height positioning/adjustment,  can utilize any ram mount cradle for every type and size of tablet.... About $1200 USD, so not cheap.... but what is cheap in this industry?

I've worked with a few companies who have these in every ship.... very slick, never a worry about a suction  cup or some other sketchy set up coming loose and causing damage or an accident..

JJ.

18 hours ago, R0T0R said:

This is the best suction cup option hands down. Works on all types as long as they have a window...most do😉

https://www.gpscity.ca/woods-powr-grip-black-vacuum-pump-suction-cup-base-with-1-inch-ram-b-ball

This might be a good option alright. The only complaint in the reviews is they are minimum 3” diameter, a little big but safer

On 1/31/2020 at 9:53 PM, R0T0R said:

This is the best suction cup option hands down. Works on all types as long as they have a window...most do😉

https://www.gpscity.ca/woods-powr-grip-black-vacuum-pump-suction-cup-base-with-1-inch-ram-b-ball

Looks like a rip off of the sport mount flex pro from MyGoFlight  

https://mgfproducts.com/collections/suction-cup-mounts/products/sport-mount-flex-suction-pro?variant=17445911658611

17 minutes ago, Saifan Pilot said:

There's a pretty significant difference in price. Unless I'm not calulating it correctly, it would cost north of $350 for a full iPad muni set up.

8 hours ago, hybrid said:
59 minutes ago, Saifan Pilot said:

I don’t know if I’d call it a rip off. Woods is know for devices that are intended for hauling windows safely. GPS city just found one with a screw hole in the middle. I like it because is the seal isn’t perfect, there’s a red indicator to tell you if it’s loosing pressure. Either way, who cares? It works and it’s easy to move from one aircraft to another.

Its also way cheaper than the one you linked to. You could get a whole iPad set but for the mini for just over 100 bucks Canadian. 

The Woods Powr Grip are very strong and hold to most windscreens as if they were welded, but the risk of plastic deflection on a hot day is also a challenge.  They do work on dash surfaces if the surface is relatively flat.  I use one on an EC20 dash mounted on the top of the glareshield and it has held with big altitude changes from sea level to 10,000.  The pump has a red line to indicate when the vacuum has been partially or completely lost and the grip is at risk of falling off.

If you can securely mount a 1/4-20" threaded hole via STC, LSTC or temporary mounting provisions, you can pretty much mount whatever you want with a RAM B-sized ball to 1/4-20" adapter.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Iceman said:

This works for me without fail. I don’t use the ipad unless I have to. Ordered a Sentry (adsb in) unit so might play with it more often. Use velcro for the 496 and RAM for the ipad.

This is the set up I went with. The suction cup seemed to stick to my car window securely, does it on plexiglas-glass as well?

On 2/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, Iceman said:

This works for me without fail. I don’t use the ipad unless I have to. Ordered a Sentry (adsb in) unit so might play with it more often. Use velcro for the 496 and RAM for the ipad.

1F3BC075-8F6C-4FBA-9319-1A9F0FC7E392.jpeg

Prolonged mounting will distort the window.  The more suction, the more distortion.  You are also blocking a huge portion of view in this picture.  Your gps is also blocking the airspeed limitations chart.  This would not be approved, even in the "temporary" mounting category.