Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

U.s. Helicopter Rescued 3 B.c. Climbers

National Post

U.S. helicopter dispatched in bid to rescue three B.C. climbers

VANCOUVER - A specialized high-altitude rescue helicopter from the U.S. National Park Service in Denali, Alaska, was dispatched to the base of Mount Logan last night as rescue efforts mounted to get three North Vancouver climbers stranded in a heavy storm near the peak safely off the mountain. The three climbers are all volunteers with North Shore Search and Rescue. They were among a group of eight North Shore climbers who flew out on May 5 to tackle Canada's highest mountain peak -- located in Kluane National Park in the Yukon -- in celebration of North Shore Search and Rescue's 40th anniversary. Yesterday morning, the RCMP in Whitehorse received an urgent call from a member of the team at base camp who said three of the climbers were stuck at 5,500 metres in a heavy storm and hypothermia was setting in. Rescue efforts were immediately launched by Parks Canada to reach the men and helicopters dispatched. The U.S.-based SA315B helicopter, known as the LAMA, is capable of flying to altitudes of 12,441 metres. The big guns of Canadian mountain rescue were also called out: Doug Makkonen, considered by many in the business to be the world's top mountain pilot, flew his Jet Ranger to the base of the mountain to aid in the rescue.

post-1763-1153671308_thumb.jpg

Elevation (feet) 19,550

Elevation (meters) 5,959

:up: Kudo's to a real professional, the Lama driver that actually performed the high altitude rescue. I say "true" professional because there was no fanfare, posturing for the media, or accolades required by the pilot for doing his job. Self proclaimed experts (showboats Like D.M.) are an embarrassment, just for the sake of trying to achieve his 15 minutes of fame.... :down:

:up:  Kudo's to a real professional, the Lama driver that actually performed the high altitude rescue. I say "true" professional because there was no fanfare, posturing for the media, or accolades required by the pilot for doing his job. Self proclaimed experts (showboats Like D.M.) are an embarrassment, just for the sake of trying to achieve his 15 minutes of fame.... :down:

Helilog56:

Having been affiliated with both Parks Canada and knowing Doug, I find your observation interesting.

I can see Parks Canada showboating strictly for budget reasons. NSR was aaproached years ago to provide money for better helicopters for mountain rescue in Banff, Jasper, Golden and Haines Junction and when it came time to produce stated it would be looked after by the military.

Most other bases are using 407's on a Standing Offer except for Haines Junction.

Dave is using a modified 206B111 with a C20R, the last I heard.

Please elaborate.

Cheers Don

Edited by Blackmac

Helilog56:

Having been affiliated with both Parks Canada and knowing Dave, I find your observation interesting.

I can see Parks Canada showboating strictly for budget reasons. NSR was aaproached years ago to provide money for better helicopters for mountain rescue in Banff, Jasper, Golden and Haines Junction and when it came time to produce stated it would be looked after by the military.

Most other bases are using 407's on a Standing Offer except for Haines Junction.

Dave is using a modified 206B111 with a C20R, the last I heard.

Please elaborate.

Cheers Don

Who is DAVE? Did you mean Doug??

I don't wish to get into the middle of anything here at all, but can state that I know the Lama pilot very well and he's been on that Lama in Denali National Park for many years now. The contract is serviced by Evergreen Alaska and Doug is the designated pilot for that job. He didn't need to make that rescue to have his "15 minutes of fame" because he's had many of those "15 minutes" in that Park........and the vast majority of the events never made it to the news media outside AK. He's a very humble and modest guy and this is the first time that I ever heard a disparaging comment about him in written or verbal form. Just my $ .02 about someone I know very well, have a high respect for as a true "professional" and, if anything, is hardly known about outside Alaska.