Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Go West ?

hi all,

new to this forum, i am looking for advice from the ones in the know...

well, i guess that this question has already been asked a thousand times but...

what are the chances to get a job in western canada for a +1200hrs pilot, astar,a bit of 206,some mountain, some sling, fires...and who would you talk to?

i am just looking for directions... thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
hi all,

what are the chances to get a job in western canada for a +1200hrs pilot, astar,a bit of 206,some mountain, some sling, fires...and who would you talk to?

Where are you working right now? its a bit late in the year and not helped by the fact of a wet fire season. Having said all that most of the smaller companys are having trouble finding people willing to relocate. Have you checked out the job page in the forum? Good luck. I came west from Saskatchabush way back in the spring 79 with about the same time as you have now and I have lived in BC every since.

By the way when you say west do you mean west of Ontario. Here in BC we consider Alberta as the East. :rolleyes:

1 of 7,

Don't worry ! Us Albertan's consider us a country of our own. BC is the smaller brother that has to follow us whereever we go!! We have sooo much money here, we can't decide what to do with it!!!! Can't say that for BC and your gov't that YOU elected!

By the way, there is way more heli work here than in BC.......Like you guys fight over a .2 to the repeater and back??? Whats with that?

If you want to see some BC flying at its best, go to Golden for a day and see 407D!!!!

T-Rex, you can fly in Alberta in a flat bug infested swamp, or fly BC and look at this scenery ..... ( multi aircraft rescue in Bugaboo Park last night, Golden 407, Canmore 407, Bugaboo Lodge 212).

the story...A rock "the size of a refrigerator" slid and ended up on a guys leg. He was pinned on the side Bugaboo Spire (at approx 9500') for about 5 hours. We used the local SAR's "jaws of life" to lift the boulder off him. I flew him to Cranbrook Hospital. I got an all expense paid night in Cranbrook too, what a treat that was. :down:

T-Rex, isn't that your old stomping grounds?

The ending, he will be Ok, and his leg will be saved ! :up:

Yes go West young man!

The first 10 years of my career were back east. There I learned to navigate (pre GPS days). The last thirteen years of my career were spent in BC, Alta. Here s where I really learned to fly. I haven't looked back since. During my mountain training I was shaking in my boots as I and another pilot were sitting in the back seat wondering if the guys in the front were seeing the granit wall in front of us. I'm a little leary of heights when over looking a cliff with a 2000' + drop. When I land the helicopter near a cliff and shut down, I'm not to hard to find as I stay real close to the machine and don't wonder off too much. This is goat country. I only have two legs not four. The mountains are beautiful but deadly if you stumble. I only wish that I came out earlier. :up:

hi all,

Go all the way west and start heading east to look for a job. You won't get far!